Bethelites -- how good is your memory?

by Fatfreek 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

The only reference I can find to a library at Bethel follows:

Watchtower, 1962, p. 636: "...10,000-volume library are found at Bethel in Brooklyn."

Have you been there? When? How large is the room(s)? Does it contain original literature that goes back to 1879? Are members allowed to browse all of it? Are visitors allowed to browse all of it? Are visitors allowed to use a camera inside the library(ies).

Len Miller

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

There are at least two libraries that I visited while at Bethel.

They were totally accessible by Bethelites.

The literature went back quite far.

Many non-JW works were also included.

I have also heard rumors of a secret vault or collection of documents and publications that are not accessible to all Bethelites.

The Writing Dept. and Legal also have their own libraries.

• still_in74
    still_in74

Have you been there? When? How large is the room(s)? Does it contain original literature that goes back to 1879? Are members allowed to browse all of it? Are visitors allowed to browse all of it? Are visitors allowed to use a camera inside the library(ies).

Len Miller

thats a question for Barb Anderson. She would know everything about the libraries..............

• Gayle
    Gayle

In '69-'71 I cleaned the Bethel Library in the 124 building on the eighth floor. Off of the library were 5 offices (where Sydlik, Ciro Aulicino, Karl Adams, and Harry Peloyan, and Ann Glass worked and another couple fellows but can't remember their names right now) and outside of the library around a hallway was where Karl Adams (editor of the Awake) worked. The other library was across the street at the newer 107 building on the third floor. Both libraries were available to Bethelites, especially utilized by new Bethelites using references for the 6 mo. 'Primary' class. No other people to my knowledge were able to utilize them.

• uninformed
    uninformed

This is a question for Ciro Aurliceno or whatever.

Actually the 10,000 volume library is just one book, plus all the edited copies.

Brant

• monophonic
    monophonic

for photo shoots, did they have to have ouiji boards, cigarettes, etc. for the artists to copy, or did they just purchase those types of things from a getty images stock photos agency.

• ninja
    ninja

nah.....they had to keep their ouija boards primed for the next message from "jehovah"

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Yes they have references other than there own literature there.

• shamus100
    shamus100

I cannot imagine the endless pointless nonsense in all those ever-changing books. Who in they're right mind would even want to read it?

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

According to this source , Table 6, their 10,000 volume library in the early 60's was equal to 1/4 the average public U.S. library of that time. Still a sizeable quantity of publications.

I still haven't seen confirmation of how far back they've kept their own publications. Watch Towers, Consolation, etc. Are they kept in binders, copied to micro-film, digitally scanned?

My point -- if you, as some faithful member, wished to verify some Zion's Watch Tower quotation, or series of quotes, and took the long trip to Brooklyn -- would you be able to browse the proper library, and without someone looking over your back?

Len

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit