On the futility of everything

by Qcmbr 18 Replies latest jw friends

• ninja
    ninja

I would love to meditate on the poetic imagery......but I'm too busy oggling the women in avi's thread

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

To me just being alive is blessing.

What a mystery that my parents survived war, child hood diseases, accidents, to create me. I have survived 52 yrs of fantastic joy and deep sorrow. I have been very close to death many times, in many situations but it wasn't until I looked into my grand daughter's eyes that I truly understood death as my friend.

I must move on to allow my grand child space to be herself.

Life (and death) is not futile. Dying is the greatest gift we can offer to our loved ones.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

"Absurd!" says Qohelet "Everything is utterly absurd!!"

We can't make sense of it - we can either endure every moment or really experience it - the choice is ours

• journey-on
    journey-on

This was like reading the book of Ecclesiastes in the Bible supposedly written by the wisest man that

ever lived, Solomon. "All is vanity......"

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    it wasn't until I looked into my grand daughter's eyes that I truly understood death as my friend.

I must move on to allow my grand child space to be herself.

Life (and death) is not futile. Dying is the greatest gift we can offer to our loved ones.

I deeply agree with that.

The day my daughter was born I wrote: "I wouldn't have thought that my death would have such a beautiful face." I've told her since that the bright side of my death would be her freedom.

And I feel this kind of local, relative, intersubjective "meaning" is entirely compatible with global nonsense. Love does conquer death but in its own modest way.

• choosing life
    choosing life

"Ultimately, we are driven by the novel, not the persistant."

I would say we are driven and comforted by both the novel and the persistent. The sunset is both. It is really amazing that the rhythyms of life, sunrise and sunset, the seasons, etc. can be both. It satisfies our need for consistency and change at the same time.

Is there futility in life? Absolutely, but it's all we know right now. I really enjoyed your thoughts. You write so well.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Quite good thoughts in facing reality. It seems to me that it is consciousness casting bits of itself to the infinite wind, as a farmer used to cast seeds onto the ground to grow. We evolve, learn, or simply experience. No omnipotent, omniscient higher power. Rather, a LOWER power as the origin. We are the cutting edge of that consciousness in this part of existence. As blades of grass and saplings push/are pushed up, reaching up blindly(?) to the sun, so we push our way through the problems of daily life. Through our experience, good or bad, we overcome challenges and evolve ever so slowly as spirits doing a tour of duty (privilege?) in animal bodies. My theory, anyway.

S

• choosing life
    choosing life

Satunus,

I agree with your theory of "spirits in animal bodies".

• Panda
    Panda

Do we need to think through our everyday actions or are we as Satanus mentioned

As blades of grass and saplings push/are pushed up, reaching up blindly(?) to the sun, so we push our way through the problems of daily life

This is what evolution is all about. The id is in our primative stem of the brain (snakes still primarily use this and they are uber intent on eating and mating) so we reach toward whatever has proved useful in order to sustain us in/through life. Eventually we found (by we I mean animals) that the new pleasure centers also aided in survival. Things like a sense of community and speech made us more resistant to predators and better able to gather foodstuffs. So we made reaching towards the sun or pushing through the soil a simpler task, so we move on to bigger and better inventions; writing,weaving, art...you get the picture. We are deeply programmed for life and the continuation of it either through our lives or descendents.

On the futility of everything ... Sartre

If you're going through hell keep going ... Winston Churchill

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit