How C.S. Lewis helped me to see Christianity for the joke that it is

by nvrgnbk 33 Replies latest jw friends

• desbah
    desbah

hey asphere did the wind swept you off your feet....you're too funny

I opened the first page and started reading, but all I could see was blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,......... the end.
  • BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    I opened the first page and started reading, but all I could see was blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,......... the end.

I recommend that you stick with books that have pictures.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I agree, BizzyBee.

Lewis helped many to embrace Christianity and not feel so badly about it.

He uses lots of words and stuff.

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

I am a poached egg !

• VM44
    VM44

Download the book here:

Mere Christianity

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    I am a poached egg !

• choosing life
    choosing life

I've never read Mere Christianity. I do like C.S. Lewis though. What you posted sounds like a rather poor example of his writing. The Screwtape Letters, When We Have Faces, Chronicles of Narnia, etc. all have a Christian theme, but are interesting reading.

"Poached egg" ? I can't believe he made that analogy.

• cluless
    cluless

WHO WAS C.S. LEWIS.?

AND WHY DID YOU NEED HIM TO" SEE CHRISTINALITY FOR THE JOKE IT IS " ?

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Yuuuuummmmmmmmm! Eggs Benedict, my favorite! I'd be a poached egg myself, but I'm only half-baked.

One more thought - Lewis faltered in his faith when his beloved wife died and wrote about it in his classic book on grief. He railed against a god who would so capriciously give such great joy (late in Lewis' life) only to take away after much pain and suffering. I admire his honesty and the way he did not swallow Christian rhetoric whole, but examined it in the light of rationality and real life.

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

Clueless: C.S. [Clive Staples] Lewis was an Irish author known for has publications in medieval literature, literary criticism, and Christian apologetics - his written defenses of Christianity. Lewis was a friend of J.R.R. Tolkein; both men were on the faculty of Oxford University. Lewis was the author of The Screwtape Letters and The Chronicle of Narnia, among many other publications. Lewis was baptized a Christian but later fell away as an adolescent. Under the influence of Tolkein, Lewis re-converted back to Christianity and wrote defenses of the religion. Lewis was also author of The Four Loves, a book that was assigned to me to read as a graduate student.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit