JW Closet Drinkers

by shamus100 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

My mother. Her non-JW husband belonged to the Legion (for ex-military). She would go with him --- a real no-no for JWs. She went with him and would buy one drink for herself while he would drink until he was plastered. Meanwhile she would sit there nursing her one drink. What no one knew was that she carried a flask with here and would go into the washroom and have sips from her flask.

Now I would never have guessed this. But one day she proudly showed me her flask and said she didn't want worldly people to know how much she drank.

I have never seen her drunk, that was the husband's job as a binge drinker. But I also have never seen her go through an evening without a few drinks. She thinks she isn't an alcoholic because she doesn't get plastered. But just the fact that she hides her drinking and drinks far more than anyone realizes puts her dangerously close to the line to having a real problem

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I do understand the dilemma here. I too, used to drink quite often but very rarely did before I became a JW. After seeing how the Dubs drank it ruined me again and my thoughts about the religion. Because everywhere you went with them aIl they did was drink. I now see myself doing the same thing everyone on this thread is speaking of, drinking more. Sometimes more than I used to back in the day. And, yes, I try to hide it from my spouse. She has strong issues against drinking period.

I just recently left the dubs and I am going thru some strong marital issues because my spouse still belongs and attends regularly. I am currently in a position that I do not know where the relationship is going.

The children are also being difficult, even though they or young adults out of school. One still living at home and feels that a curfew does not apply to them since they are almost 19 but they are still in my house. The other one recently moved out and I haven't had much contact in about two weeks but I am hearing some erie gossip as to what this one is doing and I do not approve of.

I know it shouldn't, and I should not let it, but the stress of it all compells me to want a drink. Also, my spouse is a very controlling person and this is my way of rebelling.

I feel like I am going to hell in a handbasket.

Losing it.

Quirky1

P.S. Sorry for the sob story.

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

"But just the fact that she hides her drinking and drinks far more than anyone realizes puts her dangerously close to the line to having a real problem"

Everyone take a look at the info I copied onto this forum for recovery:

forums.3rd-millennium-inc.com

It can help you see where you, or loved ones, are in the addiction process. All I need to do is help one person and I will feel good about the hours I took typing it in.

• hotchocolate
    hotchocolate

Octarine, I'm "not allowed to access this section" :-(

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I couldnt access it either Octarine....

Quirky1

• BreakingAway
    BreakingAway
    Ah but Ren the rest of the planet is not self righteously proclaiming superiority as god's chosen few.

Excellent comment, that's exactly what I was thinking.The Organization frequently, and aggressively, counsels that : "Just because everybody does it doesn't make it right ! ", as a way to show their standards are far superior to everyone else's.The organization is, "clean", "pure", "upright","righteous", a "spiritual paradise" not plagued by the same problems as the other religions because "this is the ONLY True Religion".So, then, saying that JWs have the same problems, attitudes, vices,etc. as everyone else not only proves the Org is not only not superior but very much a "part of the world" and hyprocritically point the finger at everyone else while they themselves indulge in the same behavior.You can't have it both ways.Either you recommend "the truth" by how you live your life 24 hours a day or you don't.They disfellowship others to create a facade that they don't tolerate such things while they themselves indulge in these very same "vices" !

Knocking on doors proclaiming God's kingdom, and the Witness spiritual paradise way of life as the only real one acceptable to god while living contrary to this, is living a lie.The Org even takes it so far as to say that all ONLY Jehovah's Witnesses have ANY basis for a real hope of surving this system of things and thusly recommend their way of life to all onlookers.Witnesses are collectively the biggest drinkers I have ever met.It's obvious they're trying to deal with their anxiety and dissonance in this way but it still doesn't change the fact that they are trying to dull the pain from "the truth" while trying to recruit others into this way of life.How screwed up is that ! Misery loves company.

I remember one time right after the Book Study when they broke out the booze to make frozen mixed drinks and all that good stuff.I bet the "only true god" is so proud of this "holy nation".

• new boy
    new boy

Personally.....I don't drink anyone...

I don't drink any less...either

• Pitchess Co-Gen
    Pitchess Co-Gen

I've been Disfellowshiped for almost two years now and I'm not much of a drinker anymore.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit