I got my voter registration card today

by B_Deserter 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

My JW brother brought it in. God I hope he didn't look at it! I was hoping it'd come in a discreet envelope, but no, it had to be marked all over the place. He didn't say anything when he brought it in, but if they say something later I'll just say I must've accidently filled out both sides of the change-of-address form (voter registration and change-of-address is on the same form in Michigan) and that I tossed the card.

It's.....strange. This is the first real, tangible evidence that I have started a new life. It's like one small step for B_D, one giant leap for B_D's life. My polling place is the local church so the next election I'll get that experience, too! Wow, it's just....wow. I feel so proud right now that I'm an American citizen. I feel like singing!

(sings) Well I'm Proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm freeeeeeeee!

• StAnn
    StAnn

Congrats! The first time I voted was in the 1988 primaries. On my way into the polling location, I kept expecting this big hand from heaven to come down and smack me. When I came out of the building after voting, I felt so proud and so liberated that I started to cry.

It's a great feeling. Enjoy your liberty!

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

In Australia it is compulsory to vote, or you get fined. However, JWs can avoid a fine by writing saying that they are exempt as conscientious objectors. I voted this year for the first time but my wife did not. I filled out the following on her failure to vote form, to make the JWs look as nutty as possible. She signed it without reading it, as I warned her she would be offended by my answer.

"As one of Jehovah's Witnesses I am forbidden from voting, because soon Jehovah is going to kill everyone that is not a Jehovah's Witness at Armageddon. Most reprehensible are those people involved in the Religious, Commercial and Political systems. As such I use my right as a conscientious objector to abstain."

I hope that raised a few eyebrows.

• reniaa
    reniaa

nice way to treat your wife jwfacts :(

• llbh
    llbh

I always vote postally so as not to upset my JW wife's sensiblities

Regards

David

• JK666
    JK666

Here is a little taste of WTS doublespeak on voting:

Watchtower, June 15th 1999 Issue, Page 30:

Questions From Readers

How do Jehovah’s Witnesses view voting?

...As for Jehovah’s Witnesses, they do not interfere with the right of others to vote; neither do they in any way campaign against political elections. They respect and cooperate with the authorities who are duly elected in such elections. (Romans 13:1-7) As to whether they will personally vote for someone running in an election, each one of Jehovah’s Witnesses makes a decision based on his Bible-trained conscience and an understanding of his responsibility to God and to the State. (Matthew 22:21; 1 Peter 3:16)

...those who have a part in voting a person into office may become responsible for what he does. (Compare 1 Timothy 5:22, The New English Bible.) Christians have to consider carefully whether they want to shoulder that responsibility.
    [...]

In view of the Scriptural principles outlined above, in many lands Jehovah’s Witnesses make a personal decision not to vote in political elections, and their freedom to make that decision is supported by the law of the land. What, though, if the law requires citizens to vote? In such a case, each Witness is responsible to make a conscientious, Bible-based decision about how to handle the situation. If someone decides to go to the polling booth, that is his decision. What he does in the polling booth is between him and his Creator.

The November 15, 1950, issue of The Watchtower, on pages 445 and 446, said: “Where Caesar makes it compulsory for citizens to vote . . . [Witnesses] can go to the polls and enter the voting booths. It is here that they are called upon to mark the ballot or write in what they stand for. The voters do what they will with their ballots. So here in the presence of God is where his witnesses must act in harmony with his commandments and in accordance with their faith. It is not our responsibility to instruct them what to do with the ballot.”

What if a Christian woman’s unbelieving husband insists that she present herself to vote? Well, she is subject to her husband, just as Christians are subject to the superior authorities. (Ephesians 5:22; 1 Peter 2:13-17) If she obeys her husband and goes to the polling booth, that is her personal decision. No one should criticize her.--Compare Romans 14:4.

What of a country where voting is not mandated by law but feelings run high against those who do not go to the voting booth--perhaps they are exposed to physical danger? Or what if individuals, while not legally obliged to vote, are severely penalized in some way if they do not go to the polling booth? In these and similar situations, a Christian has to make his own decision. “Each one will carry his own load."--Galatians 6:5.

There may be people who are stumbled when they observe that during an election in their country, some Witnesses of Jehovah go to the polling booth and others do not. They may say, ‘Jehovah’s Witnesses are not consistent.’ People should recognize, though, that in matters of individual conscience such as this, each Christian has to make his own decision before Jehovah God.--Romans 14:12.

Whatever personal decisions Jehovah’s Witnesses make in the face of different situations, they take care to preserve their Christian neutrality and freeness of speech

JK

• desbah
    desbah

good for you, every vote counts

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

Congratulations. Since I've left the dubs, I've voted regularly.
    And this election looks to be one of the most engaging elections in the US in a long time.

CountryGuy

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

The interesting thing is that the JWs I know still think voting is a DF'ing matter. I knew a brother that got DF'd in the late 80's for voting. I knew I something was awry when I found out JW's in other countries voted. Anyway, I know most JWs don't read their own literature. I won't publicize the fact that voting but if someone finds out, I'll just tell them the FDS said its a personal decision and that person decided to vote.

• Robert7
    Robert7

Congrats. I just got mine a few weeks ago. I never voted in my life (at the age of 30)! Can't wait....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit