Intro: I'm ONE of Jehovah's Witnesses

by caliber 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• caliber
    caliber

On futher pondering the two minutes mention I would get at a JW funeral, I guess this would be very generous,

seeing that Christ Jesus gets only 5 or 10 minutes mention at Memorial .His contribution to this world is

only about a billion times greater than mine, or service, meetings or the Elders or WT !!

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Some idiot elder standing up there droning on about your life you'll have in the paradise - no thanks - let people who knew me well and loved me for me speak - thereafter have a cry if you feel the need and party on.

• delilah
    delilah

I'm wondering if this is becoming the norm for other religions as well, because the same thing happened at a friend's funeral this past summer.

He was Dutch Reform, and the minister said the same thing, only he actually said, "I'm not going to talk about Bob, I'm going to talk about God and his love for each and every one of you here today". and he did not talk about my friend....

I glanced at my husband and whispered, "Did I just hear that? Are we at a witness funeral?"

• Uncertain
    Uncertain

I'm going off the thread to comment on the funeral aspect. Remember that I am not a former dub, just a former study.

Many, many unchurched christians have services conducted by strangers. This happened for my mother, because dad wasn't willing to fly in the face of convention and bury her without the words of a minister. Nevermind that she was an agnostic, or maybe an atheist. So, the funeral director suggested a local pastor, we spent ten minutes with him telling him about her and then he spoke. It was phony and uncomfortable, an honest statement and a straightforward altar call would have been less of a travesty.

I have attended other funerals and memorial services with the same pattern. The best were conducted by speakers who said, "Here is how I knew the deceased, please share your remembrances".

I went to a service for a woman who had been active in her church and who had a strong relationship with the pastor. He said something like "You are all here out of your love and respect for this woman and her family". Let me tell you what was on her mind. She knew that many who would be attending today, even some of her children, are not right with God". He then preached fire and brimstone for fifteen minutes. He was good too. I don't know if he saved anyone but he took us out of our comfort zones, which was a good thing. The good ladies of the church prepared food for us and we told our stories and sang our songs after the formal funeral was over.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others
    I'm not going to talk about Bob, I'm going to talk about God and his love for each and every one of you here today".

It makes me think about my own funeral down the road (way down) immediate family the ones who really care, a few words each and a few bourbons, rum or what ever

to celebrate my life.

The end

hope

• caliber
    caliber

FUNERAL DISCOURSE

REMARKS REGARDING THE DECEASED (Use any that apply and are appropriate.)

Details regarding age, birth, when married, and so forth
    By whom the deceased is survived
    Dedication record, including privileges of service
    Exemplary qualities displayed by the deceased (Eccl. 7:1)

THE HOPE THE DECEASED ENTERTAINED

Worshiped Jehovah, the God of wisdom, justice, love, power
    Had faith in Jesus Christ (Acts 4:12)
    Appreciated God's purpdse regarding earth (Gen. 1:28)
    Sure to be realized (Isa. 11:9; 55:10, 11; Rev. 21:4) Why good people die
    Disobedience of Adam (-Gen. 3:19; contrast with Genesis 2:7.) Offspring inherited deat6 (Rom. 5:12) Condition of the dead
    Soul is mortal (Ezek 18:4, 20)
    Dead are unconscious (Ps. 146:4; Eccl. 3:19; 9:5, 10)
    The resurredion hope
    Made possible by sacrifice of Jesus Christ (Matt. 20:28)
    Christ's resurrection a guarantee (1 Cor. 15:22, 23)
    God uses Jesus to raise the dead (John 5:28, 29)
    For the anointed, resurrection is to heavenly life (1 Cor. 15:51-54; Rev. 20:4, 6)
    "Other sheep" resurrected to life in earthly Paradise (Luke 23:43; John 10:16)
    Armageddon survivors can hope to see the deceased one again soon
    Others too are in line for resurrection (Ads 24:15)

WHY IT IS GOOD TO GO TO HOUSE OF MOURNING

Can comfort the bereaved; loss is mutual
    Take to heart uncertainty of life (Ps. 90:12; Eccl. 7:2)
    Makes us think about how we are using our life

HOW WE CAN BENEFIT FROM BEING HERE

While living, make good name with Jehovah God (Eccl. 7:1)
    Lay up treasures in heaven (Matt. 6:19-21)
    One way is to take zealous part in witness work, if qualified (Matt. 24:14; 28:19, 20)
    In this way and by godly conduct, we contribute to sanctification of Jehovah's name
    (Prov. 27:11)
    Resurrection hope an incentive to learn and do divine will(l Cor. 15:58)

(Note: Instead of eulogizing the deceased, use the material in this outline to give a fine witness concerning the truth. Good balance should be observed in this regard. Doctrinal points can be presented as beliefs of the deceased, which served as motivation for him. Purpose of talk is to uphold Jehovah God as a God of love and mercy and at the same time bring comfort to the bereaved. Use of a song such as No. 102 (53) or 187 (93) is optional. A brief prayer at the close is fitting When arrangement is made to go to the grave, it is well to consider quite briefly the hope through the Kingdom, reading one or two scriptures, such as Job 14:14, 15 and 1 Corinthians 15:5413-57. This service may also be closed with prayer, thanking Jehovah for the resurrection hope, which is of great comfort. The talk need not exceed 30 minutes.)Printed in U.S.A.
    S-3 11/90

http://www.docbob.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=20

Content ©
    alt
  • Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead
    One way is to take zealous part in witness work, if qualified (Matt. 24:14; 28:19, 20)

Barf! Every occasion JWs use as a plug for pushing their drones to do more. Have some respect for the dead....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit