Why are Pedophile attracted to JWs?

by MMae 18 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• MMae
    MMae

Badboy raised the above question in another thread. I was wondering how much JW training and/or fear of God played a role in JW childrens' victimization. These are my comments:

Quote from an enprisoned Child Rapist: "Show me an obedient child, I will show you an easy victim."

Obedience, particularly unquestioning obedience, is deeply ingrained in the JW psyche. Parents are expected to beat this into their children from a very, very young age. JW children are taught to ignor what their own bodies and minds are telling them about their world. (A young child being forced to sit in a stiffled manner for several hours a week is a good example of training her to ignor body signals about what seems natural and comfortable. A little older child who is shamed or made fearful when he questions practices and doctrines, learns not to question adults that have some roll of authority over him, especially within the congregation.)

My parents were not JW (they were "interested persons.") My mother was very heavy handed and questioning was out of the question. My step-father preyed upon that fear to keep our silence: "If your mother finds out, we will BOTH be in trouble" [This was true, BTW;] "If you tell, I will go to jail. Then there won't be enough money to pay the rent, and all your brothers and sister will be out in the street. (Since it was winter and we lived in Alaska, this was a life or death kind of threat.)

I can see this same techneque being used on a JW child: "If anyone finds out, we'll both be disfellowshipped. If we are disfellowshipped and Armeggedon comes, we will die forever." It won't matter if the child has been baptized or not. He or she has been hearing about disfellowshipping long before s/he is old enough to be baptized.

Did your JW training make you or someone you know an easier victim?

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I think a number of factors contribute. A big one is even the worst of people can be accepted and welcomed as a JW if they feign devotion to Jehovah and "his organization". For the most part JW's are more concerned with the reputation of "Jehovah's organization" over anything else so keep abuse reports as private as possible. JW children are also very good at internalising anguish and putting on a pretense, most learn at a young age to keep their parents off their back. Too many JW parents are naive about the "spiritual paradise" and consider the congregation safe.

• looloo
    looloo

the man that abused my child used "jw talk " in the grooming process in a distorted way that she felt justified his actions even though she was confused about it !

• MMae
    MMae
    the man that abused my child used "jw talk " in the grooming process in a distorted way

All JW talk is heavily weaved with guilt messages if one does not comply with direction. Such confusion and spiritual damage that must come of this!!

• jefferywhat
    jefferywhat

Seriously this is a stupid question.

I agree the WT policy is pathetic, no argument there.

But to kid yourself into thinking its a JW problem is just plain silly.

Some studies put the number of girls in abused in the US at 62%.

20% of americans are under 16, boy/girl split roughly 50/50, so 10% of america is female and under 16.

Population is around 300 Million so approximately 20 million girls are abused in the US every year. Thats 38 girls every minute in the US alone.

It aint a JW issue, its a global one, if you really feel strongly about stopping it, stop bashing an org that doesnt handle it right and put your energies into more preventative issues.

Further:

Finkelhor D.
    Family Research Laboratory, University of New Hampshire, Durham 03824.

The main finding from epidemiological literature on child sexual abuse is that no identifiable demographic or family characteristics of a child may be used to exclude the possibility that a child has been sexually abused. Some characteristics are associated with greater risk: girls more than boys, preadolescents and early adolescents, having a stepfather, living without a natural parent, having an impaired mother, poor parenting, or witnessing family conflict. Class and ethnicity appear not be associated with risk. In any case, none of these factors bear a strong enough relationship to the occurrence of abuse that their presence could play a confirming or disconfirming role in the identification of actual cases.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Jeffrey

Whilst sexual abuse is widespread, I do believe that the JWs could attract such a person into their ranks.

A pedophile is looking for children and wants the opportunity to abuse. Therefore if that person discovers the JW they will be likely to recognise the vulnerability of the children within that particular faith.

Sirona

• jefferywhat
    jefferywhat

I think its a family issue, not a religious one. Parents and families and communities should take more care of our children, in that order.

• kerj2leev
    kerj2leev

Don't let your hatred for the JW's get in the way of your reasonableness! Most, if not all religion's have pedophile's in them. I don't think a pedo is going to wake up and decide to become a witness because their children are easier targets.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

"Most, if not all religion's have pedophile's in them. I don't think a pedo is going to wake up and decide to become a witness because their children are easier targets."

While it is true that other religions have pedophile's in them, most other religions do NOT send their children door-knocking - which certainly would put them at the door of a sex-offender.

Any reasonable person realizes that the JWs are there to make converts. If a sex-offender sees an opportunity... you don't think that they will take advantage of it?

I too think that the question - in the title of this thread is a bit over the top - but let's face it... the JWs seem to attract people with issues. Whether it be emotional, psychological or otherwise.

Regards,

Jim TX

• kerj2leev
    kerj2leev
    Any reasonable person realizes that the JWs are there to make converts. If a sex-offender sees an opportunity... you don't think that they will take advantage of it?

I too think that the question - in the title of this thread is a bit over the top - but let's face it... the JWs seem to attract people with issues. Whether it be emotional, psychological or otherwise

Most religions attract people that have issues, I had a friend who use to say "the truth attracts em". But do you think that a pedo is going to go through the indoctrination of being a witness when there are other "easier" religions to get into? That being said there may be some who are attracted to the JW's, but the title makes it sound like they're flocking to the org.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit