Jan 1, 2015: Preparing for a "no-show scenario" - How would the WT do it?

by truthseeker 14 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

2014 is not too far away except in the minds of the GB elite.

How do you think they will explain away 1/10th of the Millenial Rule of Jesus Christ with no paradise?

Do you think they are preparing for a no-show scenario?

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

They will likely do a job on newbies saying some took 1975 into their own hands and made apostate expectations of themsleves never firmly stated by the GB who do not know the time or place etc!

I think we already found out its much more than the time and place they dont know!

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

"It appears however, that Armageddon evidently already has come to pass, invisibly. We have now entered into a spiritual paradise, closed off from the non-existing professed "truths" of the outside world. As the Bible clearly explains, the 144.000 is a figurative number, and as we die, we will all be taken to heaven."

Something like that? I'm only kidding though.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The teaching is that the millenium does not start until Armageddon.

So what exactly is the point of 1914 you may ask?

Beats me! I don't think they even know themselves at this point.

Slim

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I think Jan 1, 2015 will be just as Jan 1, 1976 was. Another major embarrassment. But, this time they will not have time to lament it because they will be preparing for the 2034 blowup. And, when Jan 1, 2035 comes, it will be yet another embarrassment that I am willing to bet my life on.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

The "revolving door" nature of the Jehovah's Witnesses insulates them from much of this problem. As has been discussed here before, JWs have the lowest retention rate among American religions. The general pattern is that people who convert stick around for a certain length of time (5, 10, 15, 20 years, etc.) and then leave. Most children brought up in "the truth" don't remain there either. So at any given time, the JW ranks are mostly composed of people who have recently converted, kids raised in the religion, and "die-hards" who have sworn their allegiance to the organization. Major disappointments, such as occurred in 1925 and 1975, don't tend to have much of an effect on the die-hards since their loyalty is with the governing body. They will do as they are told.

Failures will, however, have some effect on the recent converts. Many will realize they've been duped and leave. Most, however, being so new "in the truth" are able to absorb the blow and keep moving forward. Overall, prophetic failures will help provide the final push for those who are already on their way out, but since JW membership turns over every few decades anyway, it won't matter in the overall scheme of things. New people will be suckered in, people who will be kept in the dark about past failures. New children will be born into the religion, and even though most will eventually leave, enough will stick around to keep JW membership constant or modestly growing.

This scheme has been going on for over a century. Few thought we'd ever see the year 2000, but no JW I knew said a word when the Jan. 1, 2000 issue of the Watchtower was printed. Life kept going on as usual.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

My guess is that there are more than a few people who have mentally made a note and made this the drop dead date on their faith in the society.

But then again, these same people will not be young any more and may decide it is too late in their lives to do anything.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

EXCELLENT POINT, Truthseeker!

Not only has 10% of the "millennium" gone by with no paradise, but so far not one of "Jehovah's servants" show ANY sign of the "eternal life" they've been promised.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Here's my prediction. The WT is going to implode before then...if Oprah keeps on with her New World (Ekhart Tolle) forum, and the internet increasingly gains a foothold throughout the developing world, there's not going to be a no-show scenario...they and their prophecies will be a footnote in history... remember, you heard it here first!

With the number of ex JWs just about even that of actual JWs (from what I hear), I think we're heading towards a tipping point. Soon enough it will be more embarrasing to remain a JW than be one of the ones to leave the leaning Tower, and 6 years is about what I think it will take to see it all come crashing down. It will be interesting to see what transpires in the next 2190 or so days - things have a way of gaining MOMENTUM and then, just like the Berlin Wall, you will see the UNTHINKABLE!!! Looking forward to it!

• oneairhead
    oneairhead

Meeting junkie - I second that Notion, that it has just got to tip here at some point in the near future. Hopefully sooner than later.

One

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit