KNOWING THE DIFFERENCE between what is real and what isn't.

by Terry 65 Replies latest jw experiences

• Terry
    Terry

The reality of our life stands in stark contrast to the imagined.

We can imagine whatever we like. But, life intrudes. And, by life--I mean the unavoidably real events we cannot wish away.

Each of us is capable of avoiding unpleasant thoughts. It is as simple as as not looking, not hearing and refusing to ponder what displeases us.

This is comparable to taking a nap while driving, however! Reality will soon impact the front bumper of your vehicle and pop your dream bubble in a most disastrous manner!

What am I saying?

We must actually choose to focus the power of our mind on what is real to avoid the false escape of daydreaming, avoidance and idealism--or, we suffer the results.

Consciousness is no guarantee of alertness. We can be conscious in a school classroom and completely miss the lesson for the day while drifting along lost in our own reveries.

Life is what happens while you are making other plans. Ever hear that before? That is what I'm talking about.

Our world view, our belief system, our sense of how the world works can only come to us in two distinct ways:

1.We are alert. We focus our senses. We ask questions and demand provable answers. We test things. We remain skeptical. We refuse to choose hearsay over testable facts.

or

2.We refuse to investigate beyond our comfort zone. We only read what reinforces our prejudices and opinions. We don't list to counter argument; only prepare our rebuttal. We accept our peer group's opinions. We operate on ideology. We go along to get along. We buy in to feel-good opinion. We embrace the supernatural. We tickle our ears with New Age mysticism. We readily gravitate toward the mysterious and the unexplainable and cozy up to the unprovable and titillating side of things.

In short: our responsibility for our own life can go into default easily. All we have to do is turn off our investigative powers. All we must do is relax our skeptical analysis and go with the flow of popular opinion.

I work in a book store. I daily observe what people read. I survey popular tastes in reading material when the customer pays their hard-earned dollars at the cash register.

The tons of cheap romance novels being read (like eating bags of potato chips) is amazing. It isn't the category of "Romance" which is alarming. It is the fecklessness of the writing and the poverty of the stories which is troubling.

New Age, Self-help, Meditation, quack diet, Natural Cures books are sold by the truckload. Who reads these books? Not low-life and uneducated people! No, everyday well-educated people cram their brains with these out-of-the-author's-ass foolishness. Why? Lazy brains?

No, I think it is the utter lack of skeptical thinking. The lure of ideas off the beaten path which are dressed up in fluffy language and intangible window-dressing are saltier, sugary and more chocolaty to the taste than dry, fact-based books with real research and tested methodologies.

We are fast becoming a society of well-educated nincompoops who praise Jesus, consult a horoscope, eat bacon to lose weight, shun doctors in favor of quack cures, elect politicians with yummy promises and little substance and, who don't really know the difference between real and unreal.

Not only is this dangerous; it is avoidable.

The rampant opinionating of Conspiracy Theory idiots and political ideologues wafts like a fart in an elevator across the radio talk-show airwaves. People parrot what their know-it-all guru rants about with little investigative penchant for testing the validity of elusive claims.

What is the solution?

Skepticism.

Try it---it might save your life.

Try reading opinions with which you do not agree.

Trying listening to the other side.

Actively address the particulars and avoid the generalities.

Anything can be true if it is offered as a generality. You can only test the truth specifically.

If you disagree with this opinion, I'm happy to hear you out.

• still_in74
    still_in74
    We are fast becoming a society of well-educated nincompoops who praise Jesus, consult a horoscope, eat bacon to lose weight, shun doctors in favor of quack cures, elect politicians with yummy promises and little substance and, who don't really know the difference between real and unreal.

We all thought the information age would make us smarter.... it appears we just think were smarter.

Good post........

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

I think the fast food analogy is a good one. The Bible ironically, but correctly, states that people want what tickles their ears. They want answers, but they want them fast and easy. And if it confirms their own notion that they are special in the universe, so much the better. They'd rather read a book on how the Universe will cater to your every demand (if only you do all the preparation work, doh!) instead of a book on how the universe came about and what it consists of. Nothing wrong with a fast action flick or romance novel now and then, but you wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) base your knowledge on them.

It's fast, superficial, easy, and - sometimes - cheap. But it's bad for you. Or rather, it's not 'nutritious'.

• Sirona
    Sirona

You have a point, Terry, but I disagree with this:

Our world view, our belief system, our sense of how the world works can only come to us in two distinct ways:

1.We are alert. We focus our senses. We ask questions and demand provable answers. We test things. We remain skeptical. We refuse to choose hearsay over testable facts.

or

2.We refuse to investigate beyond our comfort zone. We only read what reinforces our prejudices and opinions. We don't list to counter argument; only prepare our rebuttal. We accept our peer group's opinions. We operate on ideology. We go along to get along. We buy in to feel-good opinion. We embrace the supernatural. We tickle our ears with New Age mysticism. We readily gravitate toward the mysterious and the unexplainable and cozy up to the unprovable and titillating side of things.

No, it isn't just down to two options. A person can be somewhere between these two. There are a million shades of colour in between.

For instance, everyone knows that I am pagan and I believe in some things which are considered to be "supernatural". Does this mean that I am NEVER skeptical? No. Does it mean that I NEVER read scientific books? No. Does it mean that I never investigate beyond my comfort zone? No.

I read quite widely. Some books I read are about spirituality. Some are information - history, science, philosophy. I have read Carl Sagan. I have read Stephen Hawkins. I have read Dion Fortune, Freud, Oliver Sacks, Richard Dawkins.

I don't fit into your neat little categories. I am fairly well educated, I accept evolution as fact, but I have spirituality which allows me to believe in something extra (an afterlife, for instance).

Sorry to burst your two rather restrictive bubbles.

Sirona

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

I know what you're saying about new age mystics Terry and I wonder if my perception is one which differes from say a youth who looks with awe and a sense of enhanced mystique that I do not harbor?

That is the problem with belief - identical words play a different tune to many individuals!

New age ideas do question organised faiths and do have their own roots in nature and life around them - which is maybe a better reference than words spouted by men of long ago about how to be wholly brainwashed by them in our day?

Witches are 'Demons' is what JWs inferred! I think they are very insincere toward them!

There are some beautiful people and much less judgemental than JWs though you will find thsoe whpo believe in vengeance just like JWs do when they steal families from people!

What is reality?

That is a thing many would love to ponder if only it were an easy thing to converge upon.

The problems usually are most damaging when someone insists their reality is the reality and foists it upon others in ways that make them pay if they change their view!

• Terry
    Terry

No, it isn't just down to two options. A person can be somewhere between these two. There are a million shades of colour in between.

For instance, everyone knows that I am pagan and I believe in some things which are considered to be "supernatural". Does this mean that I am NEVER skeptical? No. Does it mean that I NEVER read scientific books? No. Does it mean that I never investigate beyond my comfort zone? No.

I read quite widely. Some books I read are about spirituality. Some are information - history, science, philosophy. I have read Carl Sagan. I have read Stephen Hawkins. I have read Dion Fortune, Freud, Oliver Sacks, Richard Dawkins.

I don't fit into your neat little categories. I am fairly well educated, I accept evolution as fact, but I have spirituality which allows me to believe in something extra (an afterlife, for instance).

Sorry to burst your two rather restrictive bubbles.

Thanks for sharing your view on this, Sirona.

May I point out that Skepticism is like wearing reading glasses. The second you remove them a blurring of definition happens. It is easy to see what isn't there or not see what is. Skepticism is not a now and then sort of filter for the rational mind, you see.

A person on a nutritious diet who binges now and then can be confident the nutrition is the right course. But, they can't pit the good part of the diet as somehow balancing out the binge portion, can they?

Nature consists of what really exists. When we go beyond that ("super") we go beyond what exists. That is what "super" nature is. The supernatural is going beyond what exists.

I don't fault you for indulging a taste in the Super-natural if that is your choice. You create the life you choose. You aren't a second-class citizen or an inferior.

There is a blurb in most newspapers that feature Horoscopes which says, in effect: For amusement purposes only. Just as the front page of Keven Trudeaux's NATURAL CURES "THEY" DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW ABOUT disclaims anything he says as pretty much nonsense.

As long as you KNOW what you are doing is __going beyond__the verifiable, the actual and the reality of existence; you have every right to do so.

We all have a soft side for something that isn't real (men seem to love fake boobs on women). The cosmetics industry is multi-billion dollar because we cannot abide pure reality, after all!

Don't take my words as a put-down or an attack. Please. It isn't intended personally.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Good read Terry, Thanks

Would the world be a better place if there was more analytical thought and reasoning ....I think so.

It gets very discouraging at times see so many people indulge themselves with imaginative fiction rather instead of potent purposeful reality.

• Terry
    Terry

New age ideas do question organised faiths and do have their own roots in nature and life around them - which is maybe a better reference than words spouted by men of long ago about how to be wholly brainwashed by them in our day?

Bait and Switch!

Remember how JW's would expose the false religious ideas of Christendom to us when we first studied with them?

They were right to do so.

Ah! But, what did they replace those false notions with? Truth? No..no..no! A different brand of false notions!

One set of assertions was replaced with other false assertions.

It is like stopping smoking and becoming a binge eater instead. One harm takes the place of the other.

Anything which exposes a lie is a good thing. However, here is where Skepticism must remain firmly in place....you must not replace what is rooted out with other lies and nonsense or you merely trade harms.

That is worth considering.

You see, I now hold the opinion that where BELIEF begins is where KNOWLEDGE ends. When you stop KNOWING because of facts and proof...you start BELIEVING with mere hope, assertions, authority, guesswork, emotion and that elusive word "spirituality".

Examine the key words in BELIEF systems and you get undefined words and concepts which float on airy nothingness.

Spirit, Energy, Love, etc. These can be almost anything you want them to be without them actually being anything.

NEW AGE movements began with A COURSE IN MIRACLES, if I'm not mistaken.

Marianne Williamson has pretty much taken up the cause from that first literary effort.

Anybody out there familiar with A COURSE IN MIRACLES and what the "source" of the book was purported to be?

That airy silliness made possible all the elusively "spiritual" concoctions which soon followed (and continue to follow.)

• Terry
    Terry
    Would the world be a better place if there was more analytical thought and reasoning ....I think so.

Unfortunately, there is a huge...............................GAP........................................between knowing and doing.

Sadly, we can know something is bad for us and proceed at full speed anyway.

Why?

It takes a lifetime of practice and discipline to connect our actions with our knowledge of what produces benefit.

It is constant practice. It is setting and maintaing a rigorous standard for ourselves.

What is the best standard for us to maintain?

This: NEVER ACCEPT THE UNREAL AS REAL.

What is a lie but this?

REALITY must be at the base of our thinking, acting and long range planning or we face the thousand natural shocks the flesh is heir to.

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Paganism to me doesn't define itself as imoveable or judgemental and so embraces things some find illogical and odd or unusual! Maybe its the antithesis of JW ideology spouting how it knows everything worth knowing?

So I seek not perfection but wander with slight intrigue, interest and attuned feelings to see what transpires! I see much amongst some people which is beauty of heart and mind without it being wholly akin to my own thoughts. It does not worry me or strike reactions or a desire to change it like I wouldnt many parts of nature! Some people have a way which is to help life to be what it is and it is enough and I feel at home with such ones as if I was born to be amongst them.

But I am not so I am unhappy!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit