Is True Religion Possible?

by R.Crusoe 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Considering any religious presumption to be that we have fallen from perfection, is it realistic to expect an imperfect memeber of our speceis to fare any better than a perfect one who failed initially?

Considering the often added feature of multiple deceptions and the rampant claim of an evil superpower who tricks what we see as truth in an angel of light format, can it seriously be expected that we have the mental wherewithall to accurately decipher truth from lies and also cope with all our biological urges often branded evil?

Or is the truth that our biology is perfectly natural and our preoccupation with 'holy' in fact even dirties natural and beautiful gifts? Who decides what is wrong and is it not likely that some 'wrongs' are actually 'rights' that we get punished for feeling and in fact end up doing more harm to ourselves by rendering life ;death'?

There are many contradictions in society and religions which truly do not allow people to be people and in fact distract then as much as they can from behaving in ways nature gifted them imho!

What is your perspective when you subtract all you feel you have been imprinted with by the society you are in?

• JPT
    JPT

This is a question from a thinker. It is welcomed. What a puzzlement, yes? How could we possibly figure this out? My question now is what advantage, or what is the good to the one that tries to do good compared to the one that sees others as pawns and does what is bad?

I don't have the answers but it seems to me that we should try to do what is right and treat others around us fairly. In the end, we will die. It's just when.

So again it seems we should try to find something of interest to us and pursue it. Better if what you loved to do was helpful to others and mankind in general and you could make a living at it.

That's all,

• beksbks
    beksbks

Oh my god, somebody help me, I think I actually understand what R.C. is trying to say!!!!!

• Gopher
    Gopher

True religion is an oxymoron.

Religious beliefs are unprovable by their very nature. How can any such thing be proven "true"? (The answer is not "compare it to the Holy book", because there are many contradictory holy books. Further, each holy book is subject to myriads of interpretations.)

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Aren't all beliefs true, if that is so then all religions therefore are true

• ChattyCathie
    ChattyCathie

I also have been puzzelled by the same question for many months now and have fairly recently reached the following conclusion (although this is only my personal view). Jesus said "I am the truth" so I think a religion is ok as long as it is "Christian" (as I said this is my personal opinion and that would depend if you do believe in the Bible).Humans only really attach themselves to a religion to give them a place/building within which to worship their beliefs/God. People usually attach themselves to a religion where the beliefs are closest to their own. There is so much confusion out there with religions, how could we ever know which is the true religion? Well we probably never will. There maybe even isn't! if you think that all religions are steeped in historical traditions/rules and guidelines set out in earlier centuries as a form of "policing"/fear of being bad, as with the belief of "hellfire", before our modern day "Law & Order".

Best thing to do is believe that there isn't a true religion and just be a good neighbour.

Yes beliefs are true to those that believe a certain belief, so maybe that is what religion is/means, if you look at the bigger picture, "Beliefs". So you could find your own belief and believe in it.

I hope I haven't "babbled on". I would welcome any comments

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

I recalled seeing a number of people laughing at a fairground!

They were looking from the outside in at groups of people walking down glass corridors and bumping into perfectly polished mirrors placed here and there! Some got out by chance and others had to be shown else they'd still be stuck and not knowing how!

The people on the outside refusing to go in watched and reviewed all the dangers and still, the odd one who took the plunge would end up lost!

Organised religion is one labyrinth of glass corridors filled with highly polished mirrors at every juncture and even broken ones are strategically placed!

Staying out of organised religion is imo possibly the best advice you can give a child!

Watching and working ones own reality is difficult enough without stepping into anothers maze of mirrors and transparent prison cells of morality.

Nature is full of living and full of life! Such labyrinths as organised religions offer keep you well out of it imho!

Even when you get out you still end up detached from it as if the labyrinth now resides in your mind - a 'Prisoner' to their mind surgery!

• Maddie
    Maddie

I have also decided that it is not possible to have a religion today that has the absolute truth. Our beliefs depend so much on where we are born and how we are brought up any way, that it is all relative.

Maddie

• hotchocolate
    hotchocolate

Some great points Mr Crusoe. :-)

I especially like your point about the "angel of light" situation.. as you say, how can we as imperfect fleshly beings, ever hope to have the superior intelligence needed to see through the tricks of a superpower who can make himself appear as an angel? Is this what's expected of us? I have studied the Bible deeply all my life, and I'm convinced I could study it for a lifetime more and still not have the answers. And what about people in countries that have limited education systems, or limited access to the Bible - how are these ones expected to work out where truth is? Bible scholars can't even agree on a standard interpretation of the Bible. But if I, as a mere mortal of average intelligence, don't work it out in time, I'll be struck dead at Armageddon.

Is this sounding unfair to anyone else?

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Quite so hotchocolate!

How can our many years of education and then religious turmoil and confusion be a natural course for all humanity to take in reaching god? As if god expects 6 billion to reach western levels of literacy in order to begin to reach him/her!

Such a set of universal rules from god would definitely have a satan figure rubbing its hands knowing how impossible it would be for the majority!

Would an all powerfull god of life be so stupid and doubtable?

Maybe god is far less and far more than we all are capable of imagining else why leave us all to work it out for ourselves?

We have been gifted life to live it - surely? Why else?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit