Possible threat to UK JW charitable status

by dozy 10 Replies latest jw friends

• dozy
  • quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving
    In the Charity Commission’s Public Benefit and the Advancement of Religion document it states that a charity’s benefit to society will be measured against its detriments.

The 91-page report states: “One possible example of this type of detriment or harm is the refusal to allow medical treatment, or the taking of medicines, on religious grounds.”

the blood issue stands out but I think I'll remind the charities commission of all the other detriments to society the JWs pose.

• Locutus of Borg
    Locutus of Borg

This is TERRIBLE!!!

not

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

I hope it's brought to the Charity Commission's attention how the Watchtower purposely distorted secular information about the safety of blood transfusions.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I wonder why the issue of the JW's hiding pedophiles wasn't brought to the forefront. After all, their evil policies put all children at risk. I don't know where I read it, but Rick Fearon and his wife are working with their state's government to have the JW's tax exempt status revoked due to the pedophile issue.

• Borgia
    Borgia

interesting development against this background.

BBC Radio 5 Live recording and transcript

Cheers

Borgia

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Since when is protecting pedophiles a charity? I hope Rick Fearon is totally successful in getting their tax-free status revoked. If they have to pay tax, it's that much less money for the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund. Plus, it will make people think twice before contributing, especially for tax purposes.

Good luck, Rick Fearon!

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

What would be the ramifications if JW's lose charitable status (other than the obvious paying tax)? Does this in any way tie in with jeffreywhat's thread a few weeks back about news of changes in congregation structure?

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

I think it would just mean shuffling off the printing work to another more favorable country. This is what they did when France was trying to tax them. Perhaps they'll move to Poland where things are much cheaper.

• sir82
    sir82

Oh no! Satan is now an employee of the Charity Commission!

Anything that is against "true religion" must be from the Devil, right? At least that's what I was taught!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit