New York Times June 22, 1918

by Nathan Natas 41 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

Nathan Natas

I think you are well aware of the abuses of civil rights during the time of war. The Japanese internment camps of WWII are but one example. By my expression "war fever" I mean the rampant patriotism during wartime that denies constitutional rights in the name of national security. (We saw the same abuses during the McCathy era during the "cold war." )

The charges that Rutherford and other Bethel members were impeding the war effort were not substantiated. Whatever wording you may wish to use the fact is the charges against Rutherford and his fellow inmates were dropped and they were released from prison. This would have been a remarkable reversal if they had truly been "traitors." Clearly, the "fever" had subsided and cooler heads prevailed. (Personally, I like the anology.)

We're seeing the same trend today where torture, imprisonment and denial of civil rights once again are playing a major role sanctioned by a government that is out of control. Many of the same political leaders that took a vow to protect and to uphold the Constitution are those who are trampling it underfoot all in the name of security.

• bereanbiblestudent
    bereanbiblestudent

If You search for Russellites You will find more pdf scans from the NY timesabout this. Has anyone a scan of Rutherfords booklet: "Militarism, How will it be Forever Destroyed? a Masterly discourse by J.F.Rutherford of the New York City Bar."

• chasson
    chasson

If you want to read the letter of Rutherford advising to a young bible student to be shot, go here:

http://www.tj-encyclopedie.org/Image:Trial-1918-1222-ruth-1.jpg

http://www.tj-encyclopedie.org/Image:Trial-1918-1222-ruth-2.jpg

Bye

Charles

• chasson
    chasson

In the same time read the testimony of Van Amburgh in the pre-trial of 1918:

http://www.tj-encyclopedie.org/Image:Trial-1918-707.jpg

http://www.tj-encyclopedie.org/Image:Trial-1918-709.jpg

A major contradiction.

Bye

Charles

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Bereanbiblestudent mentioned the publication

"Militarism, How will it be Forever Destroyed? a Masterly discourse by J.F.Rutherford of the New York City Bar."

I have never heard of this publication, and my references don't list it. can you provide some particulars? Date, format (booklet or tract), etc. Thanks!

You have to love the bloated self-serving titles Rutherford was so fond of attaching to his work. Had he been required to be honest, he might have titled it, "Militarism, How will it be Forever Destroyed? More Buffoonery and Speculation From the Deluded Mind of J.F.Rutherford While Sitting at a New York City Bar."

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

So it looks like it kind of happened like this. Congress passes the Selective Service Act and a draft of young men occurs in the country, requiring them to register with local draft boards. There is a provision in the Act for conscientious objectors on religious grounds, but they needed to be "members of pacifist religious organizations" (such as the Quakers). Moreover, if objector status is granted by one's local draft board, one would need to accept whatever non-military alternative service is required of them.

Attempting to obey the "law of Caesar", young Bible Students register with their local draft boards. Some local boards accept their status as "members of a pacifist religious organization", but others do not. Why? There were problems with every portion of the legal requirement. First of all, how can it be demonstrated that these men were members of a religious organization? The Society, as set up by Pastor Russell, explicitly eschewed having a "membership roll"; this was because Russell did not believe that his group was an organized religion started by a man but nothing less than the last-days gathering of the elect. Thus their names are "written in heaven". The Bible Students did make a distinction between "consecrated" and "non-consecrated" followers, and there was the smaller group who had signed their Vow. But as Joseph Rutherford admitted on the stand, there was no objective way of verifying that someone had been consecrated. He instead said that you can tell after five minutes of conversation whether the person is or not; this is a subjective determination. This situation was deemed very unsatisfactory to the draft boards. After all, if conscientious objector status be granted to the Bible Students, basically anybody out there who wanted to avoid the war can just simply say that he is a consecrated member of the International Bible Student Association and there wouldn't be an objective way for the draft boards to verify this -- other than possession of religious literature. Indeed, this in fact happened; a certain Charles W. Person wrote to the Society asking to become a member because "I am one of the draft unfortunates ... and I want to get out of the camp and all that goes with it, just as soon as I can. Can't you help me get away from here? I understand that you are trying to help men to get out of camps, particularly this one at Upton .... If you can help me get out of this, you will have a friend for life".

It also wasn't clear to draft boards that the ISBA was a pacifist organization. This was because the Bible Students had no creed that members had to agree to. Anti-war statements or articles in publications were not deemed a sufficient basis for determining that the ISBA was a specifically pacifist organization. In response to this problem, secretary-treasurer William E. Van Amburgh scrambed to write a form letter to local draft boards which contained an "Affidavit of Person Whose Discharge is Sought" which explained that the ISBA was a pacifist organization containing a "creed" against participation in war:

"I, Mr. So-and-so, do solemly swear I am XXX years old and reside at XXX and that Serial No. XXXX was given me by Local Board XXXX on the day XX of 1917, on the ground that I was a person who was a member of a well recognized religious sect or organization, organized and existing May 18 1917, whose then existing creed or principles forbade its members to participate in war in any form and whose religious convictions are against war or participation therein, in accordance with the creed or principles of said well organized religious organization.

"I do further solemly swear that I am a member in good faith and good standing of the International Bible Students Association which, on the 18th day of May, 1917 was organized and existing as a well recognized religious sect or organization, whose existing creed or principles forbade its members to participate in war in any form...."

In contrast to Russell's denial that they had a creed of any form, Rutherford on the stand quite openly spoke of the pacifist "creed" of the Bible Students. Finally, it was not clear to some draft boards that the ISBA was a religious organization that operated like a church. It instead appeared to simply be a publishing company of religious material. There were other religious presses, but they were not recognized as valid religious organizations or denominations. It would be like someone who purchased a copy of Spurgeon's Sermons claiming to be a member of the religious press merely because he bought a book.

In light of this confusion, there were young Bible Students (consecrated or not) who were conscripted and sent to boot camp. They didn't know what to do, so they wrote to the ISBA for help. Some disobeyed orders on their own accord. Others received letters from members of the ISBA advising them to disobey the orders of their commanding officers if they want to be subject to Christ as their true "commander". John DeCecca wrote to one conscript: "We can serve only one Master. If we obey the earthly captain we must disobey our Heavenly captain. If we obey our Heavenly captain, we must disobey our earthly captain, one of the two, which shall we obey?" Rutherford wrote to another: "If you feel you cannot have anything to do with the present war, you will refuse and let the officials take their course. You probably will be confined or shot". The government however did not look very kindly to this advice. Encouraging desertion of duty and insubordination was against the law. Hence, the first count of the indictment was "wilfully causing insubordination, disloyalty and refusal of duty in the military and naval forces of the United States of America when the United States was at war". There was also an aspect of self-fulfilling prophecy as well. The Bible Students believed that this war, the Great War, was the war of Armageddon in the Bible. DeCecca wrote: "If we believe that this war is the last one, and that all the kingdom must go down, so the kingdom of Christ be established, should we have any part in the military service?" Since Jesus foretold that "they shall lay their hands on you and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues and into prisons, being brought before kings and rulers for my name's sake" (Luke 21:12), the Bible Students believed that their arrests were prophesied long ago by Jesus and must happen before the end comes. After telling a Bible Student that he would probably be confined or shot for refusing service, Rutherford went on: "Probably the Lord wants some of His saints in prison for a while to tell the element they meet there that the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand and soon all their sufferings will cease ... If you are shot because of the stand you take for the Lord, that will be a quick method of entering His glorious presence".

Such a stand however meant that faithful Bible Students were not only to refuse military duties, but they were also to refuse peaceful alternative service, such as working in a hospital. As DeDecca put it: "If the General or anyone else should say to me, 'Well, we understand your position, we know that you conscience will not permit you to do wrong, to do to fight, etc. but we will give you some work that would not be war.' I would answer, 'That there was nothing that it was not war! To me was all War!' And if he should say, 'I will give you a hospital work, would you like to do that?' I would answer 'No'! And if he say to me, 'Why you would not work in the hospital!' I would answer thus: 'Because to me is all WAR!' ". The Society held a similar policy for the rest of the 20th century, requiring all conscripted JWs to refuse even civil alternative service. This was a new position at the time, for Pastor Russell did not consider it wrong for Christians to receive military or alternative service.

"If, therefore, we were drafted, and if the government refused to accept our conscientious scruples against warfare (as they have heretofore done with 'Friends,' called Quakers); we should request to be assigned to the hospital service or to the Commissary department or to some other non-combatant place of usefulness; and such requests would no doubt be granted. If not, and we ever got into battle, we might help to terrify the enemy, but need not shoot anybody" (Zion's Watch Tower, 1 July 1898, p. 204).
    "Obedience to the laws of the land might at some time oblige us to bear arms, and in such event it would be our duty to go into the army, if unable in any legal and proper manner to obtain exemption, but it would not be our duty to volunteer. We are soldiers in another army, which battles not with carnal weapons, and whose contests are from an entirely different standpoint and in an entirely different spirit. There could be nothing against our consciences in going into the army. Wherever we would go we could take the Lord with us, the Captain of our salvation, and wherever we would go we could find opportunities to serve him and his cause. If it came to the point of battling we above all would be obliged to draw the line when commanded to fire, and we could not, in harmony with the divine program, fire upon a fellow-creature with the intention of taking his life. If we fired we should be obliged to fire either into the air or into the ground....The governor of the state has the right, under the laws, to call for and to conscript, if necessary, soldiers for the defense of the state and of the nation; and if such requisition be enforced upon us we must render our dues and take our share in the trials and difficulties of the service, whatever they may be" (Zion's Watch Tower, 15 April 1903, p. 120)

Rutherford however adopted an very different hardline position that the Society stuck with until the 1 May 1996 Watchtower, which again reverted to older position and made it permissible for conscientious objectors to accept alternative service. The position that Rutherford adopted in 1917 overrode the consciences of those who otherwise could have opted for civil service and was the raison d'etre for the arrests and imprisonment of the WTS directors. In this repect, I believe the criticism of Rutherford and the directors is well-deserved. Following the change in position, the Society placed the blame of the "feeling of having suffered needlessly" on the JWs themselves who should otherwise feel appreciative for taking an unnecessarily strong stand for Jehovah rather than on the organization itself for wrongly imposing restrictions that it now admits were unnecessary (15 August 1998 Watchtower, p. 17). These restrictions originated in the fall of 1917 and they caused much suffering for JWs around the world for several generations.

• chasson
    chasson

For me this is Russell who has changed his mind in 1916, in response of the problem of young bible student in england, for example, i have cited several Watchtower in this article:

http://www.tj-encyclopedie.org/Service_militaire

Here are the quotes for the slowly change of mind of Russell:

"# Before the war we recommended to the brethren that in the event of hostilities they should, so far as possible, if drafted, request positions in the hospital service or in the supplies department, where they could serve the Government efficiently; whereas, if they were ordered to the firing line, they would not be obliged to shoot to kill. We have reasons for believing that these suggestions are being followed and that meantime the brethren are using the opportunities for proclaiming to their companions in military service the blessed message of the soon-to-be-established kingdom of Christ, for the blessing of all the families of the earth" Tour de Garde 1er Avril 1915
    # ^ "Some have inquired in respect to the situation in connection with the manufacture of war ammunition. Our advice Io them has been to avoid engaging in such work as this,except as the money would be absolutely necessary to provide food and shelter for their families and themselves. And then, taking such a situation merely as a matter of neeesqly, we recommend that it be vacated as speedily as somcthing else can lie found, no matter how poor the pay, if it will provide life’s necessities" Tour de Garde du 1er Septembre 1915
    # ^ In SCRIPTURES STUDIES, Vol. VI., we have set forth a suggestion that the followers of Christ seek by every proper means to avoid participation in war. We there suggested the possibility, but that in the event of conscription the Lord’s followers should use all their influence toward obtaining positions in the Hospital Corps or in the Provision Department of the army, rather than in the actual warfare. We suggested further that if it were impossible to avoid going into the trenches, it would still not be necessary to violate the divine requirement, "Thou shalt do no murder." We have been wondering since if the course we have suggested is the best one. We wonder if such a course would not mean compromise. We reflect that to become a member of the army and to put on the military uniform implies the duties and obligations of a soldier as recognized and accepted. A protest made to an officer would be insignificant--the public in general would not know of it. Would not the Christian be really out of his place under such conditions?" Tour de Garde du 1er Septembre 1915
    # ^ "But," some one replies, "If one were to refuse the uniform and the military service tie would be shot." We reply that if the presentation were properly made there might be some kind of exoneration; but if not, would it be any worse to be shot because of loyalty to the Prince of Peace and refusal to disobey his order than to be shot while under the banner of these earthly kings and apparently giving them support and, in appearance at least, compromising the teachings of our heavenly King? Of the two deaths we would prefer the former--prefer to die because of faithfulness to our heavenly King. Certainly the one dying for his loyalty to the principles of the Lord’s teachings would accomplish far more by his death than would the one dying in the trenches. We cannot tell how great the influence would be for peace, for righteousness, for God, if a few hundred of the Lord’s faithful were to follow the course of Shadraeh, Meshach and Abednego, and refuse to bow down to the god of war" Tour de Garde 1er Septembre 1914
    # ^ "We are not urging this course. We are merely suggesting it. The responsibility fully belongs with each individual. We are discharging our responsability toward many Bible students who are inquiring of us respecting the mind of the Lord on this subject" Tour de Garde 1er Septembre 1915 (i have deleted quotes concerning the case of England)

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Hi chasson....Russell did change his mind in 1915 about accepting military service but nowhere in these quotes does he object to alternative service....indeed, he is quite clear that it is acceptable and honorable, and that is what the conscripts in 1916 ended up receiving. That is what Rutherford began to reject in 1917 and which led to all the trouble with the US government in 1918.

• chasson
    chasson

Well, it is more complicated.

Rutherford has not clearly said no to alternative service at this time, he has claimed that because the president Wilson has not explained clearly what he means by "alternative service", a bible student could refuse it (and not should refuse it).

• chasson
    chasson

To answer to your argument, i ask myself if the non-combattant service in england and USA was not considered as being incorporated in the army ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit