McCain says presence in Iraq for 100 years if necessary. Clinton on Rush

by dawg 23 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    McCain, is now saying that the US may need to have a presence in Iraq for the next 100 years...

I think this was just hyperbole on his part. I think what he means is "we'll stay 'til the job is done". Of course, the his political opposition is going to play that phrase to the hilts. All's fair and all that.

Burn

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    .the US just last week dropped bombs on a building in Somalia on a tip there was an al Qaida leader there. . .no risk and no loss for US or allied troops. Helllllooooo, doesn't the USAF have like theeeee smartest bombs in the Galaxy and we're still sending boys in with rifles and getting them killed?????

There are things that boots on the ground are necessary for. You don't occupy a country from 30,000 feet. That is the reality of it.

Burn

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

This video shows that you can do a lot from the air though.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b74_1203744149

Burn

• dawg
    dawg

As I said, Hillary will say and do anything to get elected... today, she said that Florida and Michigan should be counted... and that McCain was more experienced than Obama...while that is in fact true, McCain is more experienced than Clinton. She's such an idiot... please America, see her for what she is... a politician and nothing more.. now we need a leader.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Dawg, to be fair most politicians will say and do anything to get elected, just look at Mitt Romney. The guy was very liberal in Massachussetts, then all of a sudden when he decides to run for president he becomes conservative.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Dawg, to be fair most politicians will say and do anything to get elected, just look at Mitt Romney. The guy was very liberal in Massachussetts, then all of a sudden when he decides to run for president he becomes conservative.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

The McCain 100 year war comment has been discussed Ad Naseum throughout the internet.

I disagreed with the war from the beginning. I remember sitting in my car listening live to Colin Powell address the United Nations and thinking to myself "what a crock!"

With that said (so I don't have to defend myself later) to characterize what McCain said as battle that will rage for 100 years is incorrect.

It is a very clear case of the Democrats have adopting some tactics similar to what we saw in 04. Within a few hours of a comment being made by an opponent on the campaign trail they are able to distribute it to all of their core constituents with their own preconceived message attached. It is a great strategy because you are able to define a person by conroversy rather than letting that person define themselves (remember the 'swift boat' thing). In this case the DNC came out with a memo (as i vaguely recall) that made this "point".

McCain was talking about American presence in a region like it has in South Korea, where no American soldiers are being harmed. He has actually made this argument a number of times (without the 100 years). There is a pretty good fact check on the internet discussing this, but I can't seem to find it. It is mentioned in this article:

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/cleveland_clinkers.html"

We need real leadership,we don't need leaders who pander to fear... this needs to stop sometime.

Good luck with that one ;)

• choosing life
    choosing life

I agree. Most politicians will say anything to get elected. No, make that all politicians. It's hard to watch. Aren't we to the point where neither Clinton or Obama can reach the required number of delegates to win the nomination of the Democratic party outright? Sounds like a problem to me.

I will take a Democrat right now because I really want the war to be put to an end. I lost respect for McCain a long time ago. Bush treated him like dirt and now he's his best buddy? I guess politicians will align themselves with anyone to get elected too. Thus, Clinton and Rush.

• Robdar
    Robdar

It's just the same crap year after year. We will get the government we deserve.

Gawd, sometimes I feel like Eeyore.

~why don't we have a donkey icon?~

alt

• flipper
    flipper

Well, all I can say is McCain is so old he probably wouldn't last the first 6 months of his presidency - so what the hell is he worried about something 100 years from now for ? LOL! Anyway - Obama is going to win and get us out of Iraq in a year or less anyway. I don't worry about what the old geezer McCain says. Knock on wood

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit