1925 merely an expressed opinion. I need verification.

by Fatfreek 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Here is another statement by Rutherford about 1925 that I think hasn't been noticed before:

"The old world has ended and is in travail and distress. The greatest crisis of the ages is upon the nations of the earth. Men who think are alive to the fact that the collapse of the old order is at hand . . . . and God's day of judgment has come. Speaking of the day now at hand, Jehovah said through his prophet Joel: "Assemble yourselves, and come, all ye nations, and gather yourselves together round about....Let the nations be awakened, and come up to the valley of Jehoshaphat.... The Lord shall roar out of Zion, and the heavens (ecclesiasticsm) and the earth (organized society) shall shake; but the Lord will be the hope of his people." -- Joel 3:11-16 . . . .

"The present order of things cannot survive the conflict for which the nations are preparing and to which they are rapidly rushing, because of the terrible instruments of destruction. W. L. Warden, of the London Mail, says: 'The next war will last but a few days. I mean it literally. And in those few days, with the new air and gas attacks which have been planned by headquarters' staffs, London and Paris will be wiped out in a night.' Jesus described that conflict thus: "Then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, nor ever shall be. And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved.' -- Matthew 24:21, 22.

"The tangible evidence indicates that the great conflict will be within the next two or three years and of short duration. The Scriptures indicate that the trouble will reach a climax in 1925 and quickly burn itself out. The prophets then indicate that those who have faith will cry unto the Lord and He will bring them out of the trouble and into their desired haven of rest. (Psalm 107:25-30) The prophet Haggai states that following this great trouble the desire of the peoples will be realized (Haggai 2:7). That desire is for life, liberty and happiness." (Joseph Rutherford, "Armageddon," a public talk delivered at Coliseum Exposition Park, Los Angeles, 16 September 1923, published in The Kingston Daily Freeman, 22 September 1923, p. 5)

• lawrence
    lawrence

You have to be joshing Leolaia - it was just hearsay, gossip, and innuendo -

The Colporters made these things up;

while trading chickens for Watchtowers

& gasoline for the New Age Magazine.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I thought this was funny, in light of other WT teachings on 'returns'.

"Certainly they have not returned. No one has seen them, and it would be foolish to make such an announcement."

But it ISN"T foolish to state that Jesus returned invisibly. Eh.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit