circuit assembly / what did they say ??

by lancelink 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I hope more people make this simple cost/benefit analysis. First, what is the cost in pioneering? Assuming you regular pioneer, you will be giving up 840 hours per year (and that also assumes that the numbers haven't gone back up) just in field circus. You will also spend about an hour a day (or more) getting ready, plus time to get to the Kingdumb Hell for the meeting before field circus. You could easily be spending another 200 hours a year in preparing to go out, not counting research (from Witchtower littera-trash only) for those calls.

Besides the 1200 hours or so per year (what could you do with 1,200 hours this year?), money is a factor. We know that gas is more than $3 a gallon, and could be headed up toward $4 or more. Extra wear and tear on the car (mostly city driving) could cost the equivalent of another $2 or 3 a gallon, plus insurance and other expenses of running the damn thing. You are looking at paying more than 50 cents a mile, and the way the witlesses stop and go, that could be a dollar or more. Pioneering could cost you $40 or 50 a day just in vehicle expenses. Add other expenses like suit dry cleaning, Big Macs, and supplies, and it gets ridiculous. You really need about $5,000 a year to make it work.

Other costs could include the embarrassment of running into old friends while out in field circus (and that will get worse with the pedophile scandals, and even worse should we start seeing mainstream Bible Explained books hitting the stores). Being tired all the time is another cost, which leads to diabetes (functioning on so little sleep regularly is equivalent to having diabetes), immune problems, cancer, and heart disease. You could get into an accident or face persecution in the form of a dog bite or worse while out in field circus.

For children, add the play time lost. I tend to place the estimated value of children's playtime at about $25-50 an hour, in 2008 dollars (that is my realistic estimate of what it could add to that child's potential to create value later in life). This means that, if you keep your child out in field circus all day, you are costing that child money at a time when they are going to need it. No wonder so many of them are impaired.

Now, the benefits. Honestly, what benefits do you reasonably expect to get from pioneering? Before answering that, look up Ephesians 2:8 and 9 (that salvation is by grace and not works) in a reliable Bible. Now what do you realistically expect to gain by pioneering? If it isn't necessary for salvation, it is not part of the benefit. What does that leave? Crappy association? Being forced to do puke-ugly calls on people that have tuberculosis? Be honest, and do not inflate the benefits just so you can please the Watchtower Society.

If, after tabulating all your costs and benefits, you honestly see that the cost is below the benefit on the margin, then by all means pioneer! That is the only reason you should do it. But, if you find that the cost is greater than the benefits on the margin, you should not pioneer. If you do, you will be wasting time, energy, and money. And, no matter what the cost/benefit analysis was for the person on the platform, yours will probably be different.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Welcome LanceLink!

Are we related?

-MissingLink

• StAnn
    StAnn

I can't believe a DO actually said Armageddon may not come in our lifetimes. That has got to cause a mass exodus of JWs, don't you think?

• logic
    logic

The old testament jews had all kinds of festivals, there is nothing festive about assemblies. Yet the society tries to compare the two. The society really has to screw with the scriptures to come up with their meeting and assembly crap. Ask any jw to show you in the scriptures this time of meeting schedule and they come up with "do not forsake the gathering of yourselves together", but if "where two or more of you are gathered together I will be with you" does not count.

The tora is the real bible for the jews and the watchtower is the real bible for the jws. Both are just a continuation of man made rules. The bible is only used when it is convenient.

• mavie
    mavie

lisavegas420,

Good for you! It's a great feeling isn't it?

• flipper
    flipper

LANCELINK- Welcome to the board my friend ! Good to have you ! You sound really cool and intelligent ! You will find a lot of support here if you need it ! Great first thread by you ! I was raised in the witnesses and in for 44 years till late 2003 ! My witness parents are 82 and 80 , been in since 1951 - and still are being duped by this lie of a paradise coming ! I really feel sorry these witnesses are being manipulated by the Watchtower society. I find the longer I'm out, the more I see they are all " cult mind controlled " in their thinking. Educate yourself my friend - and escape the witnesses while you can is my advice ! Good luck to you, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• oompa
    oompa

Lancelink, wecome! and thanks for the info.

Hermano: The problem the Watchtower has is, how to keep the masses motivated to do a bunch of unpleasant chores without an imminent threat/reward.

I like this thought Herman....no imminent threat/reward. So what is the motivation? My Dad says no matter what it is a good way of life and he for the most part has friends he can trust. We have also heard to be faithful to the end, whichever end comes first. But you are right, it it is not close, we can slack and die, and still get the big reward....I like the threat being gone...if I believed any of it anymore....oompa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit