I'm being sued for moving out of my apartment

by tsunami_rid3r 11 Replies latest jw friends

• tsunami_rid3r
    tsunami_rid3r

If you don't remember my move out 3 months well, long story short, things weren't working out for my roommate and I, and we found someone to take my place. He signed the papers, and I moved out. He backed out of the agreement, and so my ex-roommate is left paying all of the rent.

Its been 3 months now, and I think the guy that backed out of the deal is suing me because I just got a phone call from a lawyer.

I understood my name was off the lease. So can they possibly win?

I'm being sued for not paying rent.

I just went to my old apartments, and even though they did not check my record in their system, they say I'm still liable.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

It depends on what you agreed to.

Verbal contracts are just as binding as written. Just impossible to prove in court unless both testify to the verbal contract in court.

Dont lie. Man up and do what you said you would. Or tell them to f*ck off and sue you because you arent paying. Just dont lie.

• tsunami_rid3r
    tsunami_rid3r

Legal documents were signed by both parties.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

You said the guy, your ex roomate is suing you? You signed papers with him on what the agreement was? If you are talking about by 'both parties' exroomate and the landlord, well that has nothing to do with your agreement with the exroomate. He could still sue you on the basis of your and his agreement.

Perhaps Im confused by who is suing whom and what the agreement was tho.

• cognac
    cognac

i believe there is some type of clause stating that if you felt unsafe there for any reason then they can't touch you legally... I believe at least one of the few reasons you can back out is if you say that you decided not to move in because you felt the area is unsafe... Well, if that's true of course...

• ninja
    ninja

just pay the bloody rent you skinflint....you make us scots look generous

• Connaughty
    Connaughty

I really think that this is a job for Judge Judy to decide. See you on the show.

• tsunami_rid3r
    tsunami_rid3r

Alright, my ex-roommates mom is wanting money, and so she is trying to take the guy that backed out and I to court. The guy seemed to have hired a lawyer, who is also a friend of the family, to have the case settled and avoid going to court.

So its not a big deal really, only a matter of having money.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Its been 3 months now, and I think the guy that backed out of the deal is suing me because I just got a phone call from a lawyer.

You sure it was a lawyer you were talking to? The normal procedure is for a lawyer to contact you in writing.

Don't talk to anyone about it on the phone. Get everything in writing.

And if you owe the money, pay it.

W

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

Move far away,change yer name and do something different w/yer hair..or pay up..far as i can see,those are your choices..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit