Career Conflicts

by beefers1 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• beefers1
    beefers1

Hello, people, this is my first post on this site, it's been nice meeting you all. To be honest, I'm not actually a Witness, but I do enjoy reading your magazines and bible studies. On an issue of Awake! magazine (forgot what month, year) I read an article about the love of money, and its potential risks. The article opened with a question, asking if you were suddenly very rich, what would you do. "Take up a career that you really enjoy?". However, I've read several other articles on that issue and others, featuring people who gave up their lifelong career and personal goals and dreams to become a Jehovah's Witness. I know that God should come first, and there is great joy in preaching His word, but I can't help but wonder if, as they grow older, they ever feel an emptiness inside them, the kind that one gets when he realizes the better part of his life has passed, and he has not achieved his strongest dreams and goals. For example, suppose a man has prepared for years, or even decades, for a career that he enjoyed above all else, getting the necessary education, certifications, and research, and finally is within days of starting that job. But a family emergency at the last moment means he has to take care of an ill family member (for example; I do not by any mens relate to any real person), and that demands too much time for him to successfully pursue his career. He grudgingly takes another job to pay the bills, hoping that it'll only be several more years before he can pursue his dream again. But because of numerous family-related problems causing delays, he dies without ever doing what he really loved. I have read in some articles about people in a similar situation (being a preacher in the name of their deity or something of the sort), that takes too much time for them to sucessfully pursue their previous or planned career.

I am 15 years old and in my Grade 10 (sophmore) year in high school. A couple of years ago, I knew that I wanted to be an airplane pilot. It was my dream to fly. Right away, I started reviewing manuals, magazines and books, researching the necessary certifications, and practicing on simulators. I know that in Canada, one can start actual flight training at age 16, but have decided to finish my education first before I start that, meaning 2 more years of high school, then 4-6 years of university. Which means I would have to wait until I'm around 25 before I can finally actually work towards that goal (after certification it takes several more years of airline training). I would be devestated if something unexpected happens that will demand too much of my time to work towards that goal.

After reading the above examples, I hope you will be able to answer: is there not a way that one can balance his spirtual, personal, and family needs?

I would really appreciate a response, and thank you all for taking the time to read this.

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

You are correct when you say one has to be balanced. Those of us here on this board do not believe the veiws put forth in Jehovah's Witnsess publications to be balanced.

Not unlike you I once wanted to be a pilot. But becuase I was a member of the JWs I was discouraged from this career goal. As a member of Jws a person is scrutinized for seeking a college education. To be a commercial or even a military pilot one has to have this type of education.

So JWs are not the ones to ask about being a pilot.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Beefer1,

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for asking your question. It sounds like you have a bright future in aviation, which is certainly a wonderful career.

On this board, you'll find a mix of current and former JW's, along with relatives of JW's and people like yourself who know about them.

I was a JW, grew up in it and became a ministerial servant there, and was a serious student of the religion and the Bible.

As you noted, Watchtower publications certainly do emphasize the fact that they want serving in THEIR MINISTRY to be your career. They really want serving the JW organization to be the main pursuit of your life. When I was a young JW, I often heard "JW's do not have a worldly career, the ministry is their career."

This goes against the Bible's counsel that NOT ALL would be ministers. Ephesians 4:11 says "And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers". So you see it's not biblical to teach that ALL congregation members must be evangelizers, as Jehovah's Witnesses do.

So to answer your question about how to balance a career with other life interests (including family and philosophical / spiritual interests), just listen to your heart and do what you think is best, instead of listening to an impersonal organization tell you what they think is best for you.

I listened to this organization, and they actively discouraged me from pursuing a college education even though I was a salutatorian in my senior class. I am not bitter, but I am frustrated that I missed out on what could have been an exciting learning experience in college due to an organization that wanted all my time and resources.

Please feel free to post any follow-up questions, I'd look forward to a discussion.

• beefers1
    beefers1

Thank you very much. The responses were much sooner made than I expected. I feel a lot better now. Also: I'm just using pilot as an example, as this question really does apply to anyone in a similar situation. And: I do have a friend who's a Witness, he said he did not want a college education, but was asked to serve his ministry full-time when he grows up. He is actually a very intelligent young man, with a lot of potential in university. When I asked him what he was going to do after high school, he actually did hesitate to answer. I'm not sure to interpret that as a personal reason, or an external reason.

• Carmel
    Carmel

You have identified a delimna that faces many young people, especially those in families that are involved in demanding religious communities. I have a young friend who's parents are adamant that he attend church, lead the youth group and get good grades in college. He communicates his anxiety to me as an outlet as he gets no relief from his parents or his pastor. Religion can consume your life if it is of the high control type. I'd be really careful in that regard. It doesn't have to be that way. Not all religions are needing to control. Your spiritual development is not dependant upon attending meetings, leading groups or spending hours in meditation and prayer. More likely it is practicing the beatitudes (true spirituality) in your relationships with others. That is the essence of all the world's religions. It's really a quiet peaceful and energizing lifestyle simply adumbrated by the golden rule. I wish you well. carmel

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Amen to balance.

• beefers1
    beefers1

I'm not really talking about young people, and their life vs. adult life (which is quite understandable. the conflict, I mean), as much as about long-term goals being interfered with by not only religion (though mainly, it would seem, for Witnesses), but for other reasons as well. Once someone prepares for years, and he finds out that he'll never be able to actually do what he truly enjoys, I would have to guess the feeling of despair probably really escalates. People changing their careers for the good of the people and are truly happy about it (besides some REALLY dedicated pastors and priests, who lose track of all worldly matters. Again, I am not pointing out a certain group or people.) usually only happens in movies and stories (e.g. Mr. Holland's Opus).

• beefers1
    beefers1

I'm not really talking about young people, and their life vs. adult life (which is quite understandable. the conflict, I mean), as much as about long-term goals being interfered with by not only religion (though mainly, it would seem, for Witnesses), but for other reasons as well. Once someone prepares for years, and he finds out that he'll never be able to actually do what he truly enjoys, I would have to guess the feeling of despair probably really escalates. People changing their careers for the good of the people and are truly happy about it (besides some REALLY dedicated pastors and priests, who lose track of all worldly matters. Again, I am not pointing out a certain group or people.) usually only happens in movies and stories (e.g. Mr. Holland's Opus).

• beefers1
    beefers1

I'm using a really slow computer and accidentally clicked twice. My apologies, everyone.

• orbison11
    orbison11

um

i am going out on a limb here, but i had to go back three times to re read your first post

i have a nephew, 15, in gr.10, and he is an intelligent young man(boy)

there is no way you are 15, your grammer, questions and least of all, punctuation speaks volumes

ok, you can all jump on me now lol

orb

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit