Explosive talk given by by Richard Dawkins, highly recommended

by zagor 50 Replies latest jw friends

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    If that is militant so be it.

Debate is not militant.
    I proudly tell people I am an atheist if religion comes up in a conversation.

You dont get Dawkins agenda yet do you?

Religion is in its death throughs man. It knows it. Thats why they are aggressive. Im content to sit back and watch it die. I dont need to stick my knife in its throat. Ideas and people long before me already did that work.

• Kiera
    Kiera

If all religions and Mr Richard Dawkins theories did not exist, they would all have to be invented

• zagor
    zagor
    I really think we are on the same page.

Yes.

I don't think Dawkins meant it literally in militaristic sense of the word but rather metaphorically for educated people to be more vocal and not be afraid of speaking out. After all 30 million atheists vs 150 million believers is still a force to be reckon with lol ;)

• chrisjoel
    chrisjoel

www.expelledthemovie.com/home.php

Intresting movie coming out debating current scientific thought taught in universities today....(gotta go UFC is on...)

• Kiera
    Kiera

Dawkins also believes that religious beliefs are man made and therefore open to criticism and fault.

He does not apply the same logic or criteria to his own dogma, unless of course his own theories are inspired by a higher power !

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Religion is in its death throughs man. It knows it. Thats why they are aggressive.

There is evidence that prehistoric man practiced religion more than 80 thousand years ago. The practice has been universal, and continuous, through all of prehistory and history. The memory of the Dawkins will no longer exist and humans will still continue the practice. I think there is nothing for religionists to worry about. The permanence of religion and belief in the supernatural has a deeper grounding than they realize.

Burn

• zagor
    zagor

I think it was this part that ticked me off

Religion is about connecting with the infinite source of Being from which we came, in which we live, and to which we will return. In that respect even the atheist brigades , as long as they have some sense of awe before the panorama of all that is, participate in the religious experience.

But I wholeheartedly apologize if I got it wrong.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    But I wholeheartedly apologize if I got it wrong.

That's just how I see it, Zagor. Even Atheists sense the numinous.

The devil is in the labeling.

Burn

• zagor
    zagor

On the bright side I don't think atheists take Dawkins call too seriously at all. In fact, they are usually non-vocal (compared to evangelical Christians) and happy with the understanding and intelligence they've got without rocking the boat to much, like IP ;)so yeah typical. Which is probably why Dawkins used stronger language to jolt us out of our comfort to do something. It wasn't the call for arms lol but evangelization :) of course he knew full well that people are too busy so the best he can hope for is for them to be more vocal.

• Kiera

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit