Question for you born ins

by startingover 21 Replies latest jw friends

• startingover
    startingover

When I was growing up as a born in JW, I remember the fear that DFing stirred up within me. As a kid, seeing a DF'd person was quite a scary thing. Thinking back about how it was growing up, it occurred to me that at the time, I never realized that a person had to be baptized in order to be DF'd.

Anyone else?

• XOCO
    XOCO
    I never realized that a person had to be baptized in order to be DF'd.

Well you can be an unbaptized publisher and still be disfellowedshiped ppl for some reason will just take the safe route and shun them anyways. the elder will just go on the platform and say so and so is no longer a publisher. so in my eyes its the same thing as DF'd just my 2 cents.

XOCO

• Open mind
    Open mind

startingover:

I remember the fear that DFing stirred up within me. As a kid, seeing a DF'd person was quite a scary thing.

Yep. Same for me. Seemed like it took longer for reinstatement back then too. Like 4 or 5 years. Then again, that could have just been my little kid perspective. Not sure how old I was when I learned about the technicalities of baptism/DFing.

But, yeah, DFed people were kinda like demunz. Scary stuff.

OM

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

I never feared them, actually in some ways I felt sorry for them because they weren't going to make through Armageddon,

they were just going to be toasted with all the other baddies.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Don't mean to kill the thread because I always seem to, but I was a born-in and my df'd grandparents seemed like these tainted, labeled, mysterious people who never came by our house. I never really understood why they were so hated. They seemed nice enough. I never got to know them but am trying to change that now.

• flipper
    flipper

I never really felt scared of them even as a young man, I just felt sorry for them that they were in that situation. As I got older I would even talk with them at the stores when I saw them . I was going to treat them as normal human beings. In spite of what the witnesses said

• jefferywhat
    jefferywhat

I used to think that being DF'd was like getting the guillotine.

• dinah
    dinah

Yeah, I can remember kinda being scared of them. It was because we weren't allowed to speak to them and were told to pretend they are dead until they come back.

How sick is that?

• Mulan
    Mulan

My father was disfellowshipped in 1955, not long after the practice was started. It didn't really affect me, because he was Dad and I was a child.

At the same meeting where they announced Dad, a young, single sister was also df'd, and later was obviously pregnant. Bad timing for Dad..............no connection. She got involved with her boss. But there sure was a lot of talk about that.

Dad was df'd for being sued by a disgruntled patient, and it made the news. Brought "reproach on Jehovah's name". Rubbish!

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

Wow Mulon, thats a new one, I never heard of anyone get DF'd for that!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit