Question from Newbie Chris Cross, JW accounting & money trail

by horrible life 14 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

As a Bethelite, I didn't see the 'golden limo' type of thing going on. There were some perks for the higher-ups, but a lot of that came from "green handshakes" from wealthy believers. As noted, there is a lot of waste of money in Bethel. I don't know that it really benefitted anybody. It was just waste. There were some incidences of monies or equipment missing, some were caught and dismissed. But I wasn't aware of anything big.

Local congs do an audit and you can check the monthly accounts report posted on the information board. The circuit funds are also audited. If anything, the CO will turn in every receipt for every personal purchase to get reimbursed by the congregations and the circuit. He also gets a free car, paid health insurance, and additional monthly allowance. Some COs really milk that arrangement.

On the branch and headquarter level, the books are sealed. However, where did the money come to pay for the pedophile lawsuits?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21917798

http://www.silentlambs.com/newsletter/NewsLetterItem.cfm?SendoutID=566

$12.5 million to gag the pedophile lawsuits. Where did the money come from to pay all the lawyers travel and various court expenses?

I think several limos would have been cheaper than all those pedophile lawsuits, eh?

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

While we all love a scandal, there are really not that many 'limo' ministries going on. The big deal ones-sure, they make the headlines-and that is because they are the exception, rather than the rule.

The Catholic Church, like the WTS is very rich, and they too are volunteers in the ministry. They too get to live-in some cases-beautiful homes and eat good food and wear nice things (kind of a uniform!). But they don't own it either!

Most ministers live in the same neighborhoods, drive similar cars as their congregations. They do not drive limos and live in mansions. I have heard that even the Grahams(when Mrs. was alive) lived in a fairly modest home in the mountains. I don't think all Christian ministries should be judged by the Bakkers, etc. of the world.

Does EVERY church need a $$$ scandal? Most get by for decades without ANY other than the occasional pilferage by church bookkeepers. Which could well happen at a KH without it becoming a world class scandal.

• ChrisCross
    ChrisCross

First I would like to thank everybody for replying. There is a lot of great information here. Due to my schedule I haven't had a time to reply until now...and still it will be kind of short. Is it made clear to a rank and file what money donations are done within the congregation? I am really interested in the msnbc story posted by Billy the Ex-Bethelite and I really think the question of where did the money come from for the pedophile lawsuits is important. Is it safe to assume that all money gathered by the WTS is ALL donations? If so, does every rank-and-file member feel that monies paid out for court cases such as this is kosher? Would a case such as the pedophiles mentioned in the news story contradict, in any way, any money policies set by the organization?

• horrible life
    horrible life

Chris Cross, good question. I carried it over to here..... http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/155660/1.ashx

• still wondering
    still wondering

For an organisation run by compulsive liars and conmen who steal not just others people’s lives but anything else they can get their hands on, like getting simple minded folk to will their kids inheritance to "THE ORGANISATION" ( I always think this sounds like the Mafia) there are bound to be many well hushed up scandals. Here are some of the ones I knew about and some I’d like to know more about.

Back in the 1960’s a DO (Doug Turnbull I think was his name) had been stealing from the assembly funds for many years. When he was finally caught red handed after a trap had been set for him by an ex copper who was himself at the time a CO he had stashed away enough to set himself up with the largest office cleaning company in Scotland. It was also found he had numerous young special pioneer sisters around the country for his sexual satisfaction. (Rather like a sailor with a girl in every port).

In the north of England the accounts servant in a congregation walked of with the entire new Kingdom Hall building fund (forgotten the amount but tens of thousands). Many years later he returned, confessed, got reinstated and after a further 10 years or so became would you believe it the accounts servant again? Yes you guessed right. He did it again and has not been seen since.

A kingdom hall in the London area was broken into and had their sound system stolen twice including the brand new replacement. It was found that one of the elders in the congregation had a large family of sons and apparently they needed some sound equipment. But they were just following their dad as when any work was undertaken at the KH in which he was involved everyone had to watch their tools else somebody else would take them home.

The Bossart hotel with marble pillars and crystal chandeliers has been lived in by the WTS top brass since the 1980’s as far as I know. Luxurious and opulent fail to describe adequately their living conditions. Also Fishing (and hunting?)trips in their private jets to Alaska.

Since the WTS shares are not publically traded then the current shareholders (those that attend the annual shareholder meeting) inherited their shares from family members long since dead. Is it likely that many of those that have inherited their shares are no longer JW’s themselves and so why would they take the trouble and expense to travel every year to the shareholders meeting if there was nothing in it for them? Does anyone know if a dividend is paid? How can one find out?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit