73% of JW's leave "The Truth." Jehovah's Witnesses 2008 statistics revisted

by Spook 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MissingLink
    MissingLink
    I assume they added those Alaska numbers to the U.S. numbers which would account for part of the % increase.

Not true. They correctly merged the Alaska stats with the 2006 USA figures before showing difference for 2007. No funny business there.

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

Thanks for the correction Missing Link. They did add in Alaska to the 2007 report before figuring the increase.

On the 2006 Report: Alaska - 2006 Avg Pubs - 2141 US - 2006 Avg Pubs - 1,008,281

On the 2007 Report: US - 2006 Avg Pubs - 1,010,442

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I suggest you all get the report here: http://religions.pewforum.org/reports

You can download the pdfs by chapter or just commit to the whole thing. On the whole, it confirms a few stereotypes of the witnesses...no education....no money....no kids....and nearly two thirds of them will leave!

Also what I thought was interesting: 0.6% of all those surveyed claiming JW status say they were raised as witnesses. 0.5% of all surveyed say they converted to it (1.1%). 0.4% of all those surveyed say they left the JWs (1.1% - 0.4%). Net result: 0.7% of those surveyed are current witnesses. So for every person you bring in, they are most likely to leave again.

Another thing noted was that JWs are next to the worst in "marrying in the Lord." 65% of them marry another JW, but 35% do not. Only Buddhists are higher in not marrying in the same religion. The figures are much higher for Catholics, Hindus, etc.

As to current marital status, the national rate of currently divorced was 12%. The JWs were 14%.

• shamus100
    shamus100

And the 36 percent left in are ones who just either A) Don't have the balls to leave, or B) Don't want failed marriages or being disowned by family.

They're a high control group, and that's the only way they keep that 36% going.

Do those stats include those who are inactive?

• Spook
    Spook
    Slight correction to your math: It should be 63% of JW's leaving the truth. 100 minus 37 is 63.

Thanks for the correction. Unlike the WTS and despite a career in engineering, I'm the first to admit I make basic mistakes in math! Cheerfully withdrawn!

• wednesday
    wednesday

http://abc.go.com/daytime/theview/index

on left side of page

i posted this-- for 4mlyove actually started a thread last night on this.

The view

sherry co host

Losing your religion part 1-2 part 2 here specifically

sherry talks about JWS and why she left

• mavie
    mavie

One more thing, the margin of error at the 95% confidence level is 7.5%. This means that if you asked a a random sample of 100 witnesses and ex-witnesses you would find that 56 to 70 of them had been born into the religion and then left as adults.

What does this mean? A larger sample size is needed.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    This means that if you asked a a random sample of 100 witnesses and ex-witnesses you would find that 56 to 70 of them had been born into the religion and then left as adults.

What does this mean? A larger sample size is needed.

Well, it wouldn't really be a random sample. It would be people already selected out as being JWs or ex-JWs. And further, if they were JWs as opposed to ex-JWs, they wouldn't, by definition, have left the religion.

A larger sample wouldn't reveal much. What is needed is a deeper analysis of the statistics and what they mean - what trends do they indicate and why? What might the WTS do to respond to the trend, i.e., stop the hemhorraging?

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

I had an elder in the Beverly Hills congregation tell me sveral years ago that 70% of all Witnesses leave after x (can't remember how many years he said) number of years. I've been quoting him ever since. He told me he got the info "from the Society," but he didn't explain what exactly that meant. It sounds like the Society does a bit of its own statistics calculations.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I read and posted that % in another thread and it said that the 63% applied to those born in and leaving. It was a survey given and 63% of those born in and baptized said that they eventually left. That's what the article that I read said. It was done by Pew, as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit