The NWT actually teaches about the Trinity?

by bite me 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• bite me
    bite me

Does the NWT teach about the Trinity and they do not even realize it because they are either not reading it, or reading around it? This is an observation that I came across. I'd love to hear what you think. Thanks!

I had copied this right off the dot org site, so it is straight from their mouths.

1 Corinthians 12:1-31

1 Now concerning the spiritual gifts, brothers, I do not want YOU to be ignorant. 2 Y OU know that when YOU were people of the nations, YOU were being led away to those voiceless idols just as YOU happened to be led. 3 Therefore I would have YOU know that nobody when speaking by God’s spirit says: “Jesus is accursed!” and nobody can say: “Jesus is Lord!” except by holy spirit.

4 Now there are varieties of gifts, but there is the same spirit; 5 and there are varieties of ministries, and yet there is the same Lord; 6 and there are varieties of operations, and yet it is the same Godwho performs all the operations in all persons. 7 But the manifestation of the spirit is given to each one for a beneficial purpose. 8 For example, to one there is given through the spirit speech of wisdom, to another speech of knowledge according to the same spirit, 9 to another faith by the same spirit, to another gifts of healings by that one spirit, 10 to yet another operations of powerful works, to another prophesying, to another discernment of inspired utterances, to another different tongues, and to another interpretation of tongues. 11 But all these operations the one and the same spirit performs, making a distribution to each one respectively just as it wills.

12 For just as the body is one but has many members, and all the members of that body, although being many, are one body, so also is the Christ. 13 For truly by one spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink one spirit.

14 For the body, indeed, is not one member, but many. 15 If the foot should say: “Because I am not a hand, I am no part of the body,” it is not for this reason no part of the body. 16 And if the ear should say: “Because I am not an eye, I am no part of the body,” it is not for this reason no part of the body. 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would the [sense of] hearing be? If it were all hearing, where would the smelling be? 18 But now God has set the members in the body, each one of them, just as he pleased.

19 If they were all one member, where would the body be? 20 But now they are many members, yet one body. 21 The eye cannot say to the hand: “I have no need of you”; or, again, the head [cannot say] to the feet: “I have no need of YOU .” 22 But much rather is it the case that the members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary, 23 and the parts of the body which we think to be less honorable, these we surround with more abundant honor, and so our unseemly parts have the more abundant comeliness, 24 whereas our comely parts do not need anything. Nevertheless, God compounded the body, giving honor more abundant to the part which had a lack, 25 so that there should be no division in the body, but that its members should have the same care for one another. 26 And if one member suffers, all the other members suffer with it; or if a member is glorified, all the other members rejoice with it.

27 Now YOU are Christ’s body, and members individually. 28 And God has set the respective ones in the congregation, first, apostles; second, prophets; third, teachers; then powerful works; then gifts of healings; helpful services, abilities to direct, different tongues. 29 Not all are apostles, are they? Not all are prophets, are they? Not all are teachers, are they? Not all perform powerful works, do they? 30 Not all have gifts of healings, do they? Not all speak in tongues, do they? Not all are translators, are they? 31 But keep zealously seeking the greater gifts. And yet I show YOU a surpassing way.

</form>

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Another interesting question about the NWT (or most other translations, for that matter) is what is the NAME (singular, not "names") of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit?

Mat 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit,

• bite me
    bite me

That is interesting. I have often thought about that.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

The NWT also gives the Holy Spirit personhood in places. Here are a few:

Joh 15:26 When the helper arrives that I will send YOU from the Father, the spirit of the truth, which proceeds from the Father, that one will bear witness about me;

Joh 16:13 However, when that one arrives, the spirit of the truth, he will guide YOU into all the truth, for he will not speak of his own impulse, but what things he hears he will speak, and he will declare to YOU the things coming.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Remember why we give out shamrocks for St. Patrick's Day? Because St. Patrick used the shamrock to explain the trinity: three separate leaves but it's still one shamrock. So the Holy Trinity is one but it is three persons in one godhead. So, to baptize in the "name" of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit is grammatically correct in that the three are one unit. Kind of like a family.

BTW, I have to do some checking, but YHWH is the name of the Godhead in the OT. JWs assert that YHWH is the name of the Father only. There is no reason to come to that conclusion.

• FireNBandits
    FireNBandits

Hi NeonMadman. The name is Yahweh. Jesus means Yahweh-Saves or Yahweh-Savior. So, the name of the Father is Yahweh and the Son shares in that name as does the HS. I am presuming you wished someone to play devils advocate.

Martin

• agapa37
    agapa37

Now there are varieties of gifts, but there is the same spirit; 5 and there are varieties of ministries, and yet there is the same Lord; 6 and there are varieties of operations, and yet it is the same Godwho performs all the operations in all persons.

I actually don't see where it is talking about the trinity here. It is refering to gifts, ministries and a variety of operations that God performs through all persons with his spirit.......However, it is good that you are thinking while reading the scriptures. We are encouraged to use our thinking ability and the power of reason while studying his word.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Fire, if you were playing devil's advocate, you're not doing a very good job, because I agree exactly with what you say. :-) YHWH is the name of God, and God is Father, Son and Holy Spirit. So that is likely the one name that Jesus refers to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit