New study shows JWs have the lowest retention rate of US religions

by M.J. 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Not Feeling It
    Not Feeling It

These statistics are not very accurate.

And you know that how, exactly?

Man, I think you need to go a little lighter on the caffeine. It's been a while since I took a basic stats class in -- gasp -- college, but the point regarding sample size is valid. I think we all have our stereotypes of what witnesses are.Many of these are based in fact. Some may be regional proclivities. This survey confirms many of them, but I think most of us would admit that JWs wouldn't answer or even take a survey like this because of general distrust of "Satan's system".

Just my $.02

• sir82
    sir82
    the point regarding sample size is valid.

It has been a frightening number of years since my last statistics class as well!

But out of a sample of 35,000 in the US, 215 JWs is of the magnitude I would expect. 215 / 35,000 = 6/10 of 1%, which is not far from the actual proportion of JWs in the US - actually a bit higher.

And given the anonymity of answering poll questions (likely over the telephone), and knowing their elders would never know how they answered, I suspect a good many JWs would answer the questions truthfully.

• cognac
    cognac

I asked this in another topic but figured I'd ask it here also...

Are the stats that they have every year available on the cd rom?

Or on 1 of there websites?

• poppers
    poppers

Someone commented about how many get kicked out of dubdom. I remember growing up Catholic and first hearing about excommunication. In all the years I was in that faith I never knew one person who was given the boot. I'd wager most JWs in each congregation know several.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    Zero percent are Asians? Please.

Depending on the criteria Pew used to analyze the raw data, they may have had less than one-half of 1% report as Asian. Since they apparently rounded off to the nearest whole percent, 0% does not mean zero Asians.

Some "Asians" may be reported under "Other" ethnicities for a variety of reasons.

Pew allowed for a +/- of 0.6% margin of error.

Remember, this is a survey, not a census.

• Not Feeling It
    Not Feeling It
    But out of a sample of 35,000 in the US, 215 JWs is of the magnitude I would expect. 215 / 35,000 = 6/10 of 1%, which is not far from the actual proportion of JWs in the US - actually a bit higher.

Yeah, on second glance I agree with you. First time around I thought the numbers were off a bit but generally accurate. But if you look at the data for Muslims and Hindus (also extreme minority religions in the USA), they seem about right too.

Did anyone notice the amazing correlation between hindus, postgrads, and $100k+ salaries? Wow. I know quite a few Desis (Indians) who are not making that kind of cake and working thier butts off in software. I guess for all of those, there are plenty who are doctors, DBAs, hotel owners, etc...

This has been a fascinating study for me despite the association with God's Chosen People.

• oldflame
    oldflame
    Racial and Ethnic Composition of Religious Traditions
    U.S. Religious TraditionsWhite (non-Hispanic)Black (non-Hispanic)Asian (non-Hispanic)Other/Mixed (non-Hispanic)HispanicSample Size
    National Total: 71% 11% 3% 3% 12%35101
    Members of Evangelical Protestant Churches 81% 6% 2% 4% 7%9380
    Members of Mainline Protestant Churches 91% 2% 1% 3% 3%7383
    Members of Historically Black Protestant Churches 2% 92% 0% 1% 4%1990
    Catholics 65% 2% 2% 2% 29%7987
    Mormons 86% 3% 1% 3% 7%571
    Orthodox 87% 6% 2% 3% 1%358
    Jehovah's Witnesses 48% 22% 0% 5% 24%212
    Other Christians 77% 11% 0% 8% 4%126
    Jews 95% 1% 0% 2% 3%671
    Muslims 37% 24% 20% 15% 4%1030
    Buddhists 53% 4% 32% 5% 6%405
    Hindus 5% 1% 88% 4% 2%255
    Other Faiths 80% 2% 1% 13% 5%436
    Unaffiliated 73% 8% 4% 4% 11%4955

Awhile back I had a discussion with a mormon that they were a predjudiced religion and they said they were not. Well here is a little proof. They had said that blacks could now be baptised but could not hold the priesthood. When I was in the mormon church a black person could not be baptised at all. The chart above says that only 3 % are black in the USA. Not very good ratings if your asking someone if they are racial don't you think ?

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

The number of people older than 65 years is also rather low. Either they do not get very old or they stop being JW when they can no longer participate in the house-to-house-work and feel the "love".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit