So, I opened my big mouth and my sister-in-law called me an apostate . . .

by Olin Moyles Ghost 18 Replies latest jw friends

• loosie
    loosie

asking them to think critically is scarey for them. healthy but scarey

• Aphrodite
    Aphrodite

Heres what I remember about the generation changes, from the assemblies etc.

1. A generation is 30 years. (armageddon by 1934/35)

2. A generaton is 70 to 80 years. BUT the person should be old enough at 1914 to understand the sign.(armageddon by 1975/85)

3. A generaton is 70 to 80 years. The generation was born around 1914. (armageddon by 1995)

4. A generation is people who were born around a certain period of time who saw certain events. (very confusing this one).

5. Generation” apparently refers to the peoples of earth who see the sign of Christ’s presence but fail to mend their ways."

6. The generation means the anointed remnant who see the sign. (and now the annointed can go on forever because they are basicly saying the book was not closed in 1935)

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

I was thinking about the connotation of the word apostate before bed. It made me reflect on a experience years ago when I had pioneered. I met this old Lady about 89/ 90 ish, she

was the sweetest person. She loved talking about the bible and me reading to her. She pulled out a trunk filled with magazines, the golden age and millennium dawn real old stuff.

I found it quite fascinating she still had all this stuff. I wondered how she got lost some how no one visited her. She was all alone. Discussing this experience I was pulled away by an elder

don't you know shes an apostate. Its an unfair label. Somehow I hope when I'm 90 I won't be refered to as "Oh that old lady is Apostate". I went back a few times myself before she died.

Hope4Others

• crazycate
    crazycate

Someone said to me recently that the "preaching work is more for us than for those we preach to." I said, "So it's just busy work to keep us out of trouble?" She laughed and said "And isn't that a good thing!"

In any other place in life, work, school, etc., a person would be offended to be assigned "busy work." It implies a lack of trust in the person--in his or her abilities, integrity, work ethic, intelligence.

They make me tired.

Cate

• greendawn
    greendawn

The WTS did say, directly or indirectly it makes no difference, that the end would come in 1975, what they learnt from 1925 is to be more subtle and get the JWs excited without being too up front about it but rather with some clever hints in that direction. Lots of naive dubs were making big sacrifices for the "final years" something that benefited enormously the WTS business.

As for people being terminally exterminated without ever having heard the gospel not a chance that this will ever happen. The armageddon of the JWs and its events are pure WTS childish mythology, nothing to do with God's way of dealing with mankind.

• flipper
    flipper

I know I've banged on this drum so many times , I'm starting to sound redundant like a witness - but they are " cult mind controlled ". Olin- something has to happen to shake them up out of their zoned out expressionless mind set to get them to think on things. But you did a great job trying to open their minds and reason with them ! Perhaps someday they will open up more to you - keep trying , carefully

• Open mind
    Open mind

My oldest teen recently took up the quasi-apostate banner in a conversation with a JW relative who is beginning to face the possibility of death by old age.

The well-meaning JW relative was blathering on about how "deep we are into the Last Days" when my child piped in with this:

"Yeah, but, G________, I could easily grow old and die in this system. We have no way of knowing!"

G_______ was speechless for about 5 seconds. Then stuttered, grumbled some lame non-convincing retort and changed the subject.

Definitely a Proud Father moment.

OM

• marmot
    marmot

That bit about the preaching work always bugged me. It seemed like we were doing people a disservice by preaching to them because we were essentially condemning them to a death they otherwise would not have suffered if they hadn't heard about "the truth."

Thankfully I now see that all religion is a crock of sh** anyway so I sleep much better.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Hi Marmot:

we were doing people a disservice by preaching to them because we were essentially condemning them to a death they otherwise would not have suffered if they hadn't heard about "the truth."

That says it better than I could say.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit