Tardiness and opening prayers ....

by Frequent_Fader_Miles 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles

I'm sure everyone remembers the "stellar" prayers that are offered from the platform before the start of the meetings.

At one point, it was customary for the brother to pray that Jehovah "hasten the feet" of those on their way to the meetings. After all, with family responsibilities etc. sometimes one couldn't help but arrive late for meetings, right? Well, apparently the JW Demigod Circuit Overseer disagreed. During one of his visits, he expounded on the utter villainy of praying for latecomers.

All such prayers suffered a swift death.

Christian love in action, eh?

• Gopher
    Gopher
    During one of his visits, he expounded on the utter villainy of praying for latecomers.

Not a surprise, coming from the circuit Pharisee.

pharisee.jpg

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
  • WTWizard
    WTWizard

Maybe the latecomers should have stopped going at all after that. That would make them think about maybe praying for them again when they see the meeting attendance headed toward zero.

• Bourne
    Bourne

I remember it being said that "to be late for the meetings was a sign of selfishness"....being more concerned with how you spend "your" time rather

than "giving" it to others at the hall through fellowship.............well, count me selfish then.

Bourne

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles

I just thought it was downright insensitive. At least they were making the effort to attend the meetings! Juggling life's responsibilities isn't always easy .... then again, the CO doesn't really have to do that, right?

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others
    At one point, it was customary for the brother to pray that Jehovah "hasten the feet" of those on their way to the meetings

Do you think this could of really led to a complex and feelings everyone is labeling you? I'm sure they could of been informed by someone.

I know a family head that was refered to as: "Oh here's father time" not a real encouragement.

Hope4Others

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles

Well, I wouldn't refer to it as "labeling" per se .... the term "hasten the feet" was used generically. It wasn't actually referring to anyone in particular that I could notice.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

I used to pray that I'd be late. Then I'd pray that I didn't have to go at all. Then, I just stopped praying and stopped going too.

Kwin

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others
    It wasn't actually referring to anyone in particular that I could notice

No worries, I didn't take it that way. I just felt if I knew others were praying for me because I was always late would not make me feel good.

lol

Hope4Others

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit