Forced Seating

by Tired of the Hypocrisy 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Layla33
    Layla33

Another example of control. As a free person you can sit wherever you want and no one should do anything to force you to sit anywhere else. I recall elders trying to do that growing up and I would leave or just go to the back and sit on a bench. No wonder so many JWs are psychologicall screwed up.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard
    They as much said that if they were forced to sit in the main hall they just would not come to the meetings.

That sounds like a good idea. People sit where they do for a reason, and if that reason is defeated for frivolous reasons, then maybe they shouldn't be going at all. This goes for those who do not like sitting directly in front of the speaker, those who may need to egress abruptly, and those who are late. If they do not like the first 4 or 5 rows to be empty, then they ought to learn why most musical performances have the front row seats packed.

If there is a good reason for people to want to sit near the front, then people will move up on their own accord (and are more likely to be there in the first place). But, with the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger removing every shred of interesting material from any talks, there is little to encourage people to sit near the front (along with the hounding that is sure to result if they do anything that is the slightest bit like a human).

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

They always made seating some kind of test of how humble you are , can you follow instructions , and an issue of are you being faithful in small things .STUPID ! They treat adults like children .

In our old hall the last two rows were to be saved for families w/children, and if you came in late and tried to set there you got reprimanded.

The last CO basically forebid any one sitting in the back school during the meeting .His pet peeve . Whatever . There were several young couples that came in late routinely and sulked into the back room as to avoid disturbing others . Some had allergies and illnesses and would sit away from the crowd . His butting in really put off quite a few people . I am sure once he left they went right back to doing what they wanted .

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

For Circuit Assemblies ™ we were assigned to J.W. Assembly Hall in Montreal. Inasmuch as it was a darling of a building, it had a large number of empty seats, there were sections of seating that were roped off so as to force us to sit down towards the front. So we sure not to miss one word of "spiritual food". That goaded my ass big time.

Dismembered

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I think it's worse at the Grand Boasting Sessions. Often they rope off the whole upper sections. I favored the upper section, because I didn't want to be down where every movement I did would be censored, I got a better view from the top, and it is cooler in summer with the air conditioning ducts that much closer. I have seen them rope off whole sections if the building wasn't full (which is a good way to further empty it out--at this point, I would have simply walked right out of the door, leaving my embarrassment badge on the floor as litter.

Additionally, I hear that they are starting to have congregations sitting together in some of these wastefests. That is also enough to get me to litter my embarrassment badge and walk out. There is no one worth sitting next to left in the congregation I used to go to, and that would also sequester me from the sisters in other congregations (after they promised to help me meet them). For sure, there is no way I am going to sit there all 3 days, with people that make me feel like I am in prison. I would probably have more freedom across the street in jail than in the a$$embly.

• chickpea
    chickpea

the KH i attended had a HUGE and ongoing family growth period where about 3-5 babies were being born every year...... my 3rd kid was one of 5 born that year....

there was an effort to literally rope off the last 4 rows of seats to keep everyone, including the families that had to run back and forth to the foyer and baby room, herded toward the front.... they even PURCHASED velvet sleeved chains with magnetic ends to "rope off" the rows in question

needless to say, the complaints about the "distractions" led to freeing up the restricted seating...... the "roping" is now useless ornamentation in the furnace/supply closet

• 5go
    5go

Yeah in my opinion this is where the Watchtower Society is obviously conflicting what the bible says to the average JW's eyes. The pharisees sit up front Christians sit in the back.

• lawrence
    lawrence

So much for the seating, roping off areas, and the power hungry small peckered men... I still remember the adage - "Friends in rows, make foes." The entire meeting process sucks! Who wants to sit in their foul halls, on their uncomfortable chairs, and listen to morons spewing lies and fantasy? Any level of hell must be better!

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Not herded to the front, but just as bad.

This happened at the annual assembly. Went with an aged relative who needed to have her feet elevated due to swelling ankles (doctor's orders). We merely requested that she be allowed to have her feet put up on a chair in the aisle in front (this would be in the elderly section right on the floor of the auditorium), but in such a way so as not to interfere with anyone else's ability to get to and from their seats. The attendant, who looked to be all of 19, said in no uncertain terms that fire regulations would prohibit this - he didn't seem to care one iota about providing alternate seating or recommending an alternative. Even hinted that there was perhaps no place available to acommodate an individual with this requirement. To this day, I don't know why we just didn't take the hint and exit the whole venue. Oh, well...the more attendants that take this approach, the sooner more of the captives will wake up! It certainly got us shaking our heads and wondering what kind of loving organization we were a part of ...

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

My hall revisits the issue every few years. They have tried roping off the back rows, congregation needs talks...etc. At this point, I think they should just be happy that people attend!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit