My jw brother wants to be my facebook friend lol

by free2think 15 Replies latest jw friends

• free2think
    free2think

Ok so im starting to think that maybe, just maybe facebook and I arent meant to be friends.

Since ive joined i keep having old jw friends finding me on there. Which is fine because i just deny their friendship, we weren't that good friends anyway.

Anywho i just logged on to find that my brother has now sent me a friend request. There's no pic and he's got the wrong birthday (2 days early) but as we know jw's dont care about that sort of thing. I know its him, and now im having a dilemna (sp). I've always been close to my brother, although since he got married that changed a lot, thanks SIL. Before that it was just him and me, and i feel really bad not adding him. At the same time i could just delete the people he knows who are df'd, i dont talk to them at all anyway and hope that he gets bored of the site, he usually does pretty quickly with most things.

On the other hand i know for sure tha if he sees anything dodgy on my page he'll definitely report to the borg. Which would also be fine but i have a niece that i lvoe dearly and i only get to see her a few times a year as it is, they live aboard. The fixes i get myself into aye lol.

I think i'll pretend i havent seen his friend request and see if he mentions it next time we speak.

• Nellie
    Nellie

I take it that you're not officially out. If you and your df'd friends don't regularly trash the org - it may be an opportunity for him to see them as regular people. But then again, if you think he'll just go tattling, he probably will.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

As long as you have the privacy setting up fairly high he can't see anything of yours, so you could say that you don't use it any longer.

Kwin

• AlyMC
    AlyMC

I have three JW's on my myspace, one of which is like a brother to me. (We were raised together) But I'm out completely, so they see the dodgy stuff that I shouldn't be saying or doing and that is ok with me.

If I were in still I'd be inclined to make another profile and friend request him there... I know sometimes my friends post images or text that aren't really appropriate to a JW and I have no control over that.

If you want to talk to him, and reconnect- sometimes online you can do that when you can't in the flesh. Then again, it might just be best to keep it to email and claim you don't use facebook much. I don't know.

• PEC
    PEC
    keep it to email and claim you don't use facebook much.

I agree with AlyMC , you don't use facebook much.

Philip

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Bad idea! I don't allow any jw's on my facebook. It could lead to problems especially sibblings on your friends list. Of course it depends on what kind of

stuff you put up. But again you could block them from seeing your friends.

Hope4Others

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

be careful. I think its a good sign that he does have a facebook account - opening up to new things as it were.

But he may report you if if he notices anything untoward.

• free2think
    free2think

Thanks so much for all the adivce everyone. It was just what i needed.

I decided to add but block him from seeing who my friends are. I think he's using it more for work, networking etc.

Maybe this will be a way in for me. He's always been more chilled about stuff, and is very open minded.

I guess anything is worth a try when someone you love is involved.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I don't have any JWs to worry about, but my nieces and nephews all have kids now. All are young, impressionable, and want to be friends with me. I'm flattered, but I feel like I have to pretend to be a nice person rather than my naturally grouchy, perverted self.

So I'm living the "double life" again...

W

• Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll
    Bad idea! I don't allow any jw's on my facebook. It could lead to problems especially sibblings on your friends list.

I would not let jw's on anything of mine ,especially your friends.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit