Help me get understanding of this ...

by sacolton 7 Replies latest jw friends

• sacolton
    sacolton

Luke 22:19
    And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying,
    "This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me."

WTBTS uses the scripture to indicate that only the Apostles (or anointed) were
    to partake in the emblems, but ...

Matthew 28:19-20
    Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them inthe name
    of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to
    obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always,
    to the very end of the age."

Shouldn't we conclude that this scripture is exclusive to the Apostles (or anointed)
    as well? Apostles should make disciples, but it doesn't say that disciples should
    make disciples.

So, shouldn't the anointed be the ones to partake in the emblems and go out and
    make disciples? This would make sense if you read the scriptures like the WTBTS
    does.

Now, if the reasoning is wrong, then shouldn't we conclude that ALL PEOPLE should
    partake in the emblems? That would cause a conflict in the WTBTS doctrine because
    we know according to them only 144,000 anointed go to Heaven, so that's not going
    to work.

Am I mistaken?

• sacolton
    sacolton

Anyone?

• journey-on
    journey-on

teaching them to
    obey everything I have commanded you.

If Jesus commanded his apostles to preach the good new of the kingdom from door to door and house to house,

then I suppose that is a command that the new disciples should follow as well. By the same token, then, his

command to partake of the bread and wine in remembrance of him should likewise be followed by the newbies!

I think you've stumbled onto something here, Sacolton.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Thank you, journey-on ... that's exactly how I read it. The Holy Spirit is showing me the real Truth.

This year I will accept the "blood" and "body" of Jesus Christ ... after 9 years of refusing it.

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle

Terry took an interesting gander on this subject in the recent past:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/152484/2786263/post.ashx#2786263

RE

edited to add that he addresses the preaching issue, but the communion topic is also mentioned

• MMae
    MMae

It works for me Sacolton!

I'm not sure why, but this brings to my mind a study article in the mid-90s about the 144,000 being the only ones Jesus meant when he said, "My brothers." I think it was in connection with the scripture about 'how you treat the least of these, my brothers, is how you treat me.' I remember thinking that they sure had the meaning of that scripture turned around backwards. Just another way to elevate themselves, while making others feel low, I guess.

I believe that everyone having faith in Jesus' sacrifice is invited to demonstate that faith by the symbolism of taking the emblems. It is, itself, an act of faith.

• MOG
    MOG

nice post..tagging it..

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Wouldn't the standard response be for them to say that although the great commission was given to the apostles, their associates 'merely' joined them in helping to fulfill it?

ie the great commission wasn't given directly to the associates/other sheep, only to the apostles/anointed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit