Did anyone experienced racism in their old congo?

by confusa 19 Replies latest jw friends

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

While there wasn't anything major, I certainly saw racism or stupid attitudes on the part of both black and white. And nobody has any business using the podium to 'vent' their frustrations or snide remarks to anybody.

While I realize there are other races in the world, not just black and white, in this instance I am referring to them only. There was a perception on the part of certain white people that blacks were graded on a curve and that a lower standard of behavior was expected from them because of dysfunctional families and society, etc. and that some of them were arrogant and had a sense of entitlement.

There was a perception on the part of blacks that if you were white you automatically had 'no problems' and had no business complaining about anything in life (especially if you are a single white woman). I guess they thought I was a 'golden girl' . Also, a black person automatically thought if somebody didn't like them it was because of their race, which would mean they didn't have to work on anything and people were obliged to like them no matter how they acted.

LHG

• free2think
    free2think

I am half jamaican and the other half portugese and anglo indian. I experienced racism from other west indian 'sisters.' They felt i wasn't black enough, that i was too white. They also felt it was ok to tell me how to dress, that my highlights meant i was trying to be 'white,' that i was trying to be 'white' etc. I could never do right. To be honest i felt much happier hanging out with the other races in the cong as they were much less judgmental.

• blondie
    blondie

I was told that black people were not as smart as white people and that I shouldn't marry a black brother.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Let me tell you about a trip to Mexico City 2 years ago.

Now I understand their hatred of Americans-not that I think it's justified-so imagine a 6 foot green eyed dude wandering the streets of a poor neighbourhood. I was always getting stared at the first few times I visited our friends. Now this particular time I had noticed a new bunch of kids in the 'hood and as usual they approached me with curiosity. Giggling as usual. But this time out came some pretty nasty comments.

Hey Gringo!

"I f@#k your mother" (both comments in english)

The first comment I had heard many times. I responded in Spanish-no soy Gringo, soy Canadiense.

The second comment blew me away. So I talked with one of our "family' and mentioned I heard this. She was visibly upset.Aparrently the kids like to learn some english, and naturally, bad language is right up there. My friend explained that I was not American, and that what they said was really nasty.

I responded to them in Spanish that-lo siento, pero mi madre es muerte.

I think it is ignorance by the parents, perhaps even racism taught by them. Too bad they are taught to hate someone form outside their little world. The good thing was that I was always treated well in all the churches I had attended. Maybe kids grow up to be good for the mostpart.

• Kinjiro
    Kinjiro

I live in the Caribbean and I attended a congregation where the distinction between so-called 'social status' made me sick. Part of the territory covered by the congregation consisted of upper-middle class suburbs while the rest of the congo were from poor 'barrios'. When the brothers of the 'higher' status made activities and get togethers they would not invite the others. When the CO came to visit, there was a distinct separation at the get togethers made in his honor.

I do have to be totally honest thou.. there was one (JUST ONE) elder who had tons of money who would do exactly the opposite, he would only invite the people of lesser economic means to his house...

sucks doesnt it?

• AlyMC
    AlyMC

That is strange, because the family that half raised me were from Mexico.. I'm white with green eyes, and I always felt so welcomed by everyone when visiting- even in the smaller rural areas. People I didn't know used to come up and touch me, even at meetings, because of my eyes. I don't remember the details, but I remember my "mom" saying it was superstitious in nature.

That said, the same family freaked out when I told them I was marrying a Puerto Rican brother, or if I danced with a Cuban brother at a dance. So they definitely had issues within the family.

It varied from racism as I generally perceive it, in that racism generally indicates feeling superior to all races. While they tended to feel some races were inferior. Minor difference, but a noteworthy one imo. It seems to be a prejudice in response to oppression instead of an inflation of self that I typically relate to racism. Almost an attempt to claim a higher position in some racial Hierarchy.

In general I don't feel there was more racism within the org, but it also wasn't non existent. It seemed pretty on par with the regional world around us in whatever congregation I was in.

• avishai
    avishai

I was gonna say no, but then theres Hawaii. SO many of them were always talking shit about Portugee's and Haole's.

• AlyMC
    AlyMC

My in laws are in Kauai... they always received this haole kindly, but I did hear a lot of that while there. Not my inlaws, as much as others in the hall. It was one reason my husband left so young, he said it was so racially divided in general... in the "world" and org.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Aly-it's interesting that my dads background was portuguese-shipped off to England sometime in the 1700's or so. There is no record of it specifically.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

When I was young working backtage at the assembly I heard 2 white Elders sons refering to ethnic brothers as "Wogs".{Like saying Niggers}...shock horror! In God's orginisation??? I would later find this happens alot...there was a Greek brother who spoke with a accent and was hard to understand so the white brothers always put him with me in field service..no one else wanted him...even though I"m not even Greek.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit