from the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology
    that JW's have a high risk of death in chilbirth due to
    the blood issue.

metatron

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

. http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20011108/hl/childbirth_1.html

C

When the pain of being where we are, becomes greater than our fear of letting go...we will risk and heal and grow.

• proplog2
    proplog2

This is the sort of thing that really gets me angry at JW's. It is clear and indefensible. A lot of JW criticism is mean spirited, mudslinging but this is just a horrible embarassment for all of us who would like to put JW's in a good light.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Looking forward to reading this one in "Watching the World".

Expatbrit

• LDH
    LDH

The article says:

Saphier and his colleagues investigated the risk of maternal death in a study of 332 Jehovah's Witnesses who gave birth at Mount Sinai Medical Center from January 1988 through December 1999

Is it just me or does anyone else find it disgusting that at least 332 (and far more siblings) children are without a mother?

Unbelievably sad and depressing. Especially for me, I'm two weeks from my due date. I can not imagine leaving my husband, daughter and new baby without me if I could help it.

And the kicker is, they still think that the 'symbol' of life is more important than life itself.

Outrageous.

Lisa

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Hi Metatron! (And thanks Cassiline for posting the web site.) Do you always browse through the green journal?
    I would like to comment on that article because it is an issue close to something I do in life.
    First I would like to point out that the study’s population qualification for being in that study was just being a jw. It did not take into account medical history, family history or the situation that lead to the women’s death. How someone manages a pregnancy/delivery/postpartum has a major influence on the outcome. A sloppy surgeon, neglectful practitioner who waits to the last moment to handle a crises or not recognizing hemorrhaging or other health issues until it is too late, effects the outcome. I felt the article was presented to sensationalize the terrible outcome of jws in childbirth and didn’t deal with practitioners’ responsibility. This I feel coule only lead to medical/legal problems for those of us who care for anyone with “ideas” contrary to the norm. Are we going to be sued because we took care of them in our practice?
    Don’t get me wrong, I do not support the “no blood theory” anymore, and am very concerned about the borg’s misleading innocent people to accept that theory. Innocent lives are needlessly dying for the want of a “simple” medical solution. (Kind of like people who used to sacrifice their children by passing them through the fire!)
    Unfortunately, I just don’t feel that the study will be noticed by the gb to help them change their minds about the rules they put on others'lives and most jws won’t understand the implications, especially medical/legally it may have.
    I guess I still have mixed emotions about this article, because I see a big red flag medical/legally for a problem that was biased and no real management/solutions presented. (What about the risks of treating Christian Scientist? Or others?) I guess the real question is how do we help the duped jws in the meantime?
    Just my 2 “sense” j2bf

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

LDH, please reread that sentence. 332 mothers didn't die, they were just the number of jws who used that facility to deliver. I think the article said only 2 died! (still 2 too many) Life is very precious and not the symbol of it, but there are no guarentee in life. Hope all goes well (as it usually does) in your delivery. Just make sure you are comfortable with your practitioner!!! j2bf

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

ugggh! Please excuse all my spelling errors. I guess I need to spell/grammar check before I reply. Take pitty, I'm new here. j2bf

• LDH
    LDH

Joy,

Thanks--I totally misread that sentence. That is such a friggin relief. If the stat HAD been 332 I would be even more outraged, but two children without their mom is enough, I guess.

As for myself, I'm having Braxton-Hicks for two days now. Slleping like crap. Thanks for asking.

Lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit