My friend's father died.

by cyd0099 6 Replies latest jw friends

• cyd0099
    cyd0099

They were estranged for years and only made progress on healing the rift during the last two or three years.

His passing was pretty sudden and he was not so lucid in the final month. I encouraged my friend to call his father and talk to him, even if his dad didn't appear to understand. I never got to the chance to say anything to my own father so I knew my friend would feel better for calling.

My own father died while I was still in with the dubs and I never got anything more than words from a small handful of my "brothers". After the first few times, "I'm sorry" loses any meaning.

So when my friend comes back from the funeral I am going to his office (he's self employed) with my birthday bottle of The Balvenie Portwood and two glasses and just have a drink with him and if he wants to talk about his dad or toast the dead or just drink in silence or whatever, we will do it.

It's kind of what I wish someone would have done for me.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Aaawwww, cyd, what a wonderful thing you've done for your friend and are going to do for him. I'm sure he's going to need someone to be there for him after the funeral, and like you said, even if it's just to sit and drink in silence, your presence will be a comfort to him.

BB

• cyd0099
    cyd0099

I hope so. I talked with a mutual friend of ours whose father died a few years ago and I'm hoping he can come with me. This second friend, Mike has a wicked and dark sense of humor. He asked me if we were going to induct him into the club (Our dad's are dead club?). I had to laugh.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee
    He asked me if we were going to induct him into the club (Our dad's are dead club?). I had to laugh.

LOL, yeah you have to have a sense of humour about this, otherwise you'll go crazy! I guess I can join your club? (or are girls not allowed )

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Can I be in the club? My dad died while we were fighting. His last interaction with me was not so good.

You are a good friend. Have one on my tab.

momz

• cyd0099
    cyd0099

It seems there's only one requirement to join. So welcome!

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Hey, I'm only a few hours away. Let's all drink a toast to him. May he rest in peace.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit