Missing books

by jacethespace 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jacethespace
    jacethespace

Are there missing books from the bible that christians of the 1st century and perhaps the children of israel used? Which were taken out when the Roman catholic church ordained the bible.

Joshua 10:13 Says -Is not this written in the book of Jasher?

2 Samual 1:18 Also mentions a book of jasher.

2 Chronicles 9:29 Says- Now the rest of the acts of solomon first and last are they not written in the book of Nathan the prophet and in the prophecy of ahijah the shilonate and in the visions of iddo the seer.

What has happened to these books and prophets and what prophecies did they contain?

Also I have considered whether the book of Enoch was originally included in scripture a clue to this seems to be in whats said in the book of jude at the end of the bible.

Jude verse 14 - And Enoch also the seventh from Adam prophesied of these saying Behold the lord comes with ten thousands of his saints [ kj version].

It clearly says that Enoch prophesied of these things but there is no prophesies of Enoch accounted for in scripture.And also how would Jude in the 1st century have known Enochs prophesies if they didnt use The book of Enoch?

There are some good sources on line to reasearch The book of Enoch.

As for the watchtower they dont mention anything about these things.

• OnTheWayOut
  • WTWizard
    WTWizard

One book I can think of is the Gospel of St Thomas. This fine work is readily available online. It is nice and short, only about 120 verses long. And, it would have fit nicely into the Bible in context with the other gospels.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

First, nothing is really "missing" from the Bible. The books that were later selected to go into the canon came from a broader literary context, but it was a selection process that determined what ended up going into the Bible. So many of the apocryphal gospels, for instance, that were written in the second century were not even contenders for inclusion in the second-century proto-orthodox canon, so they are hardly "missing" from it (tho some of these were indeed "missing" from world literature until they were rediscovered). What I mean is that there are many different canons -- at least a dozen of them -- a dozen different anthologies with different subdivisions that represent different results of the selection process in different religious communities (e.g. the Roman Catholic canon, the Greek Orthodox canon, the Nestorian Church canon, the Ethiopian Orthodox Church canon, the Armenian canon, the Georgian canon, the Russian Orthodox canon, the Anglican canon, the Protestant canon, etc. etc.). These represent different decisions made at different times on what counts as canonical. Of course, this does mean that some books were intentionally excluded, even banned.

Because the books in the current Protestant canon were plucked from an original wider literary context, they may utilize scriptures that themselves were not accorded canonical status in the history of this canon; the use of 1 Enoch in Jude is just one notable example (see my thread on this: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/85223/1.ashx), although this book is still canonical in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church (along with Jubilees and 4 Ezra, the latter book being included in Anglican Bibles in the Apocrypha under the name "2 Esdras", cf. the King James Version, the Revised Standard Version, and the New English Bible).

If you are interested in reading some of this broader context, I could recommend the following books: 1) The Context of Scripture (which has Egyptian, Babylonian, Sumerian, Canaanite, Israelite texts that form part of the OT's background), 2) N. Wyatt's Religious Texts From Ugarit (which has all Canaanite religious texts from Ras Shamra), 3) The 1966 unabridged Jerusalem Bible (which has all the Apocrypha), 4) the two volumes of Charlesworth's Old Testament Pseudepigrapha, 4) either Martinez' The Dead Sea Scrolls Translated: The Qumran Texts in English (which includes the Hebrew/Aramaic text) or Wise, Abegg, & Cook's The Dead Sea Scrolls: A New Translation, 5) Miller & Funk's The Complete Gospels, 6) Holmes' The Apostolic Fathers: Greek Texts and English Translations, and 6) Layton's The Gnostic Scriptures. Most of these are available on Amazon, and most can be found at good university libraries.

Finally, there are sources mentioned in the OT (like the Book of Jashar) which are no longer extant -- assuming that they existed in the first place -- but one must be careful not to confuse them with much later midrashic books written under their names. The pseudepigraphal Sefer ha-Yashar, for instance, is still valuable as a source of rabbinic tradition, not as a book that formed a source to the Bible, and it must not be confused with the nine other works circulating under the same name.

• Atlantis
  • Hortensia
    Hortensia

this is an interesting thread - thanks, guys! However, I went to amazon.com to look for The Context of Scripture

I guess I won't be buying it any time soon:
    The Context of Scripture by William W. Hallo and K. Lawson Younger (Paperback - Jul 2003)
    Buy new: $199.00 $172.00 7 Used & new from $99.99

• OBVES
    OBVES

People who try to add something to the Bible we have today can be called enemies of God Yahweh.The Bible must have 66 books as I have proven using the calculations based on the Bible. These 66 books must be present in any verison of the Bible we get into our hands and we operate strictly on these books.

What Christ taught and done in his 3.5 years of his ministry could have taken many books the world could not contain ! - John 21.25. If all that Jesus had said is not in the Bible how can you speak about lost books of the Bible if we deal with this that many words Jesus spoke were omitted by God Yahweh who have him His own words as Jesus was inspired by God the Father.

If someone speaks about missing books he better read the Bible and correct his problem as soon as possible.

We are to stick to the Bible as we get it and we consider 66 books that King James Bible has as the Holy Book.

If you read the layout of the books of the Bible you should see how Mighty God Yahweh took care of His word that we got the right Bible despite of the fact that original writings were lost for a good reason for Yahweh to prove His point.

1879 AD + 12 years for 12 books of the latter part of the Old Testament + 27 years folr 27 books for the first part of the Old Testament + 27 years for 27 books of the New Testament = 1945 AD

1945 AD + 27 years for the New Testament books + 27 years and 12 years for the books of the Old Testament = 2011 AD

1879 AD + 12 + 27 + 27 + 27 + 27 + 12 = 2011 AD
    Note the 27 represents " 7 Times " in my calculations .

And the 27th book of the Old Testament is the Book of Daniel that speaks about " 7 Times " !

And the 27th book of the New Testament is the Book of Revelation that speaks about " 7 Times " and the end of the world !

There is no need for any single additional book to the Bible ! There are sure no lost books of the Bible but many lost minds who deny the Bible is from God Yahweh and is sufficient to come to the Truth and salvation.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

There is no reason why the Bible has to have 66 books. I can think of what would happen if the books that were in two parts would be combined into one book (they were split arbitrarily in many cases). Or, if those hidden texts were to be found out that they should be in the Bible, and put there by an organization that is dedicated to preserving the whole Bible intact for archival purposes.

In fact, I have reason to believe that there are literally hundreds of possible writings that could have been put in the Bible. I feel that, with all those books that the first Catholic leaders left out, there should be more than 100 books. At any rate, there will be more than 66, since 1 and 2 Maccabees and the Gospel of St Thomas are proven. And that will throw off all your calculations.

• glenster
  • OBVES
    OBVES

This is a very complex problem as I could easily hold on to the view that the Holy Writings were for people living up to the year 70 AD and then to the people of the unknown time ,say , 1 000 000 years from now .

So ,many people speaking about missing or lost books of the Bible would have a hard time to debate this issue as it could be irrelevant .

By calculations I had presented on the internet I have proved by circumstancial evidence the Bible is for our times and you can see it encrypted into our end-time era ! 1879 AD - 2011 AD. As it fits niecely into this time frame.

If someone denies this he or she must come up with another time pattern that will refute the pattern I am giving.

Once the time frame is established we can place Matthew 24.3-31 into the 1914 AD - 2011 AD.

The Book of Revelation divided into two halves fits the time pattern as follows:

1914 AD - 1984 AD - 1991 AD + ( 1-11 chapters )

1914 AD - 1984 AD - 1991 AD + ( 12 - 22 chapters )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit