Doula

by Princess Daisy Boo 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

I am considering doing a course to become a Doula. This is a complete change in direction for me and I am not sure yet whether or not this will turn into a career, but the experiences of being pregnant and giving birth awakened an interest and a passion within me, and whilst I dont really want to go back to school to study nursing and midwifery, I think that the doula course could be a great outlet for this passion I have.

Has anyone out there got any insight into this practice? I would appreciate your thoughts!

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I hope you do, doulas are important and are widely overlooked here. I really wanted one with my last delivery, but we had no insurance and paid for everything ourselves OUCH!

But I like the fact that they are there for the mom. They make sure mom's wishes concerning delivery are carried out, they are her advocate. I saw a birthing show and the mom was alone, her husband had to stay home with the other children. But the hospital called a doula for her.

It would be a wonderful thing to do at the most important time in a woman's life. Good luck!

momz

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

Hi

A good friend of mine is a midwife. She's in Cape Town though but I'm sure she would be able to give your more info. She has her own private practice here and does home and hospital births. Her companies name is sisterjenny she has a web site by the same name. All the best with this!

xxx

J

• Scully
    Scully

One of my colleagues from Nursing School has retained her nursing licence but also got the extra training and now practices as a doula and lactation consultant. She works with the local midwifery group, teaches prenatal classes and breastfeeding classes and has an independent doula/lactation consultant practice too.

You could do the doula course and if you wanted to, you're still young enough to go back to school and get other credentials to increase your income earning potential. If you're going to help women at one of their most vulnerable points in life, you may as well go for as many credentials as you can so you can be appropriately compensated for your time and expertise.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Doula?

• parakeet
    parakeet

PDB wrote: "whilst I dont really want to go back to school to study nursing and midwifery,....."

..... if you have a passion for the subject (as you indicated), then you must also have the passion and drive to do whatever it takes to become the best doula you can possibly be. If you don't have that drive, you'll never be anything more than an average midwife, at best. Considering that two or more lives are on the line with every pregnancy, anything less than the best training in nursing and midwifery would be irresponsible or worse.

Please don't take this as an insult, but were I to choose a midwife over an obstetrician M.D., I'd want the best trained, best informed, and most experienced doula I could find. Wouldn't you?

• chickpea
    chickpea

if you havent visited this website, check it out because it asks a lot of the right questions http://www.doula.com/become-a-doula.shtml

it is an awesome thing to be with labouring women, and to be witness to their birthing experience..... really touches the realm of sacred, imho.... if it is what can get you out of bed at 2 in the morning with a sense of compassionate wonder, then heck yeah!! go for it!!!

back in my childbearing years i was a passionate advocate for **safe childbirth, and chose to have the births of my 4 kids ( and a 2nd trimester miscarriage) in what i felt was the safest environment for me and for them, and that was at home.... i had midwives and good friends who acted in the capacity of a doula, so i never had that as a separate service, but since the norm in the US is hospital birth or clinic birth, it seems to me that there must be a career path somewhere in there......

one of the coolest things i have ever done is labour coach a "sister" in the first vaginal birth of twins ever seen at our community hospital..... nurses who had been on staff for 20 yrs had never seen such a thing...... 3 doctors and only ONE had ever seen it.... somewhere on the african continent!!! one doc commented after over a 2 hour wait for the emergence of the 2nd twin " this first one will have teeth before the other one shows up"...... that is the mindset when the practice, the "standard", the norm is to haul the babies out of a surgical incision!!!!

good luck with your exploration and decision making on this matter!!

** i became self-educated on the subject and attended hearings of the medical boards when legislative actions threatened choice for women by squelching the practice of midwifery.... i sat on committees with midwives to help develop a "standard of care" for homebirths and midwives that was so enlightened in terms of developing a rationale that didnt treat childbirth as a medical emergency

• pennycandy
    pennycandy

I became a certified doula in 1995. It truly is a calling, and very different from midwifery.

Feel free to pm me about the life of a doula, although my experience is limited to the US.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

A doula\midwife delivered our baby.

You ladies have a special gift that guys like us can only wonder at.

Burn

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

Awesome responses - thanks girls!!!

Lou - a doula is a birth companion - an assistant and support for a woman in labour. She doesn't do anything medically for the Mom, not like a midwife or a gynae.

Mrs Smith - thanks for the referral - I will give her a call!

I will let you know when I start the course!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit