Under the table job?

by berylblue 5 Replies latest social current

• berylblue
    berylblue

I really don't approve of working under the table, but I understand that, in some circumstances, it is necessary in order to avoid poverty. My step son, who receives state insurance (long, long story) and has Crohn's and who has just come to live with us, desperately wants a job in addition to going to school. If he earns over $260 or some such, he will lose the insurance. We have little money ourselves and there is no way we can get private insurance for him.

I am at a loss as to how to even find an under the table job. If this is a bad idea to discuss on this forum, can anyone with any ideas please PM me? Or is this is better placed in private forum, can someone please move it? I just want the widest possible audience in order to obtain the largest number of ideas possible.
    Thanks.

• willdabeerman
    willdabeerman

Damn shame that this is even an issue there in the 'greatest and richest' country in the world. but i digress. I have had a few under the table jobs in my life. They were all in construction. I know that some restaurants(sp) also hire under the table. My brother did that for a while. As far as being a good idea? That is up to your son. The way I see it is, that you have to do what you have to do and piss on everyone else that tries to stop you providing for the necessary. It would be different if your son wanted to work for some frivolous material possession but we are talking legitimate pressing health needs here.

• Bourne
    Bourne

Rats. I thought this was a thread regarding Lewinskys on the sly.........oh well. Maybe next time.

Bourne

• joebin
    joebin

Depends on his skills and capabilities. You need to look for locally owned businesses and start knocking on doors till you find, and if he has a desire to work he will find someone. Local business owners are more in a position to have someone working for cash and you can be upfront about it. Almost impossible to get a cash job at McD, or Wal Mart.

In his position, with the insurance, he should work a deal with whoever hires him that some of it will be on the table, even if it 2-3 hours a week, just in case. Just figure the least amount without too much of a penalty from the insurance and get that amount from payroll.

He can also place printed ads in business entrances who have bulletin boards if he can do work "around the house" for neighboors.

• berylblue
    berylblue

Thanks for the info.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Sheesh. I thought this was a sex thread. LOL.

Burn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit