Ever have a gout attack?

by Gregor 32 Replies latest jw friends

• beksbks
    beksbks

I'm sorry to hear it Gregor. The Cherry juice sounds like a good idea. You may also want to try a Chiropractor

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

Not sure if this information will help you or not but I'll post it just in case..

http://www.allaboutarthritis.com/AllAboutArthritis/layoutTemplates/html/en/contentdisplay/document.jsp?docID=condition/arthritis/clinicalArticle/gout_what_is_it.xml

There are many reasons why an episode of gout will appear, including drinking too much alcohol or eating certain kinds of food rich in purines such as seafood, beans, sweetbreads, gravies and anchovies.

Other potential triggers of gout include:

• Surgery
    • Stress
    • Crash diets
    • Sudden, severe illness
    • Chemotherapy
    • Joint injury
    • High blood pressure
    • Excessive exercise.
  • cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

I don't normally drink or eat shellfish, two things that are supposed to trigger gout. However friends would always make us lobster and champagne every year on our anniversary. The next morning I would make up with gout like symptoms in my big toe joint. However, it was probably very, very mild as far as gout attacks go. I would drink lots of water and eat lots of bright red and green fruit and vegggies also and that would usually clear it in a day.

• rekless
    rekless

YES!

I have acute gout...and it is not one bit cute.

I started getting it when I hit forty. ( I gain alot of weight over a short period of time, this one reason

for gout...

I am taking Allopurinol & Colchicine daily.

You need to go to a doctor. I've tried cherry juice, and every other remedy.

Don't fall for every dure suggested on the internet.

You need to drink purified water and a lot of it to wash the uric acid out of your kidneys.

If you can afford medical insurance and life insurance get it now because once the doctor diagnos it as acute gout you can't get insurance.(not that gout will kill you, but it becomes a pre-existing illness.) I tried and every medical insurance company turned me down .

You may be one of the lucky ones and only have one attack, but my experience was, it kept returning and at closer and closer increments.

You may want to cut back on hard liquor if you enjoy such.

Good health to you

Dan

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I see you one gout and raise you a kidney stone about three times a year!

• garybuss
    garybuss

I carry Indomethicin in my travel bag. I take it right at the start of an attack. I was prescribed Allopurinol as well. I never had gout until I took Maxide for blood pressure treatment a few years. I can go years between gout attacks now. I still won't be without Indomethicin within easy reach.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I've suffered from gout for the last 20 years. I've taken indomethecin, but now I'm taking allopurinol every day. I've had more attacks than I can count in my toes. I've had one bad one in my left elbow, and the worst I ever had was in my right knee. It felt like someone was beating on it with a hammer. I had to keep moving, because every time I sat down to rest it got worse.

I had gout for years before the doctor finally prescribed the allopurinol. He finally prescribed it when I started getting kidney stones from the crystals that were forming.

I never tried the cherries, but I found drinking a lot of fluids, preferably water, helps. Alcohol is not recommended, especially red wine.

Reducing the amount of foods that are high in purines helps.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=51

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gout/DS00090

W

• rekless
    rekless

Here we go with my story beats yours, and I sympathize with you, but Hahaha, I was laid up for six weeks in bed, It started in my right toe, moved up to my right knee, to my right elbow, and by this time I couldn't stand covers to touch me and I was praying that some one would come in and kill me and shoot me in the head, because that was the only place that didn't hurt. It then work its way down to my left knee, to the entire left foot and out the left toes.

Most excruciating ( exscrewciating- and I mean screwciating) pain I ever experienced.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Gout attack?

Yes, but not as bad as others stated here.

I've had it in my feet, especially the big toe.

In my hand: left index finger.

Yes, it's painful and reminds me of the limits of my body.

Thankfully, it's not as severe as others. I just have to watch my diet and be mindful that: I'm not 19 years old anymore.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I had it frequently in my 40's when I was dieting and taking diuretics. Since then, I've been told that diruetics concentrate the uric acid. Maybe drinking lots and lots of water will help. Mine went away when I stopped the diuretics.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit