Woodland Hills Assembly Hall, Woodland Hills CA

by AudeSapere 28 Replies latest jw friends

• VM44
    VM44

What I want to know is why Google Ads decide to show this ad with this thread?

http://www.bagpipeplayers.com

• Save My Soul
    Save My Soul

Hey XJW4EVR,

FIGHTON!!!!

USC willcdestroy an SEC team for the 2009 NC. UGA or LSU, either one or both!!!

Sorry for the tangent. I just love USC!!!

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I went to many conventions at the Woodland Hills Facility in the 70's and 80's. I really liked that facility, except sometimes you would get lost and forget where you were sitting, as everything looked the same. Round and Round you would go. I'm glad they don't do Doger Stadium anymore - that was hell on earth, broiling in the sun, not enough bathrooms. And a huge walk from parking. Yuck.

However, despite its initial successes, it fell into hard times. Financial difficulties forced its sale and in the 1970's it became a Jehovah's Witness Assembly Hall (where it is rumored that Michael Jackson worshipped before the beginning of his legal troubles -- but that's another story).

Michael Jackson did in fact attend that assembly hall; I remember seeing him on more than one occasion there, along with an entourage of "idol worshippers" who apparently joined the cult as a sign of adulation for their hero.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I was baptized there back in 1989. I never attended a different assembly hall as I became inactive about the same time they sold it. I drive by it everyday. The sign is gone and the building has been leveled. For the current Circuit assemblies, depending where you live in the city, you are either sent to Norco or to a rented facility in Oxnard. Some years back there were plans to build one in Santa Clarita. That deal fell apart.

• 21stcenturywoman
  • Gayle
  • 21stcenturywoman
    21stcenturywoman

@Gayle, thanks for posting that link.

The photos brought back some good childhood memories. I actually really enjoyed going to the circuit assemblies when I was growing up. As a child, Woodland Hills was fascinating to me for some reason. I enjoyed serving lemonade in the cafeteria and wearing those pink smocks. I actually was on the program a few times when I was a kid. One of the few pleasant JW memories I have.

• Gayle
    Gayle

I, as a child, looked forward to assemblies. As a JW youth, one has to be so socially isolated, going to school, could not have nonJW friends there, no extracurriculars, etc. Actually, a very lonely spot for a kid. At least, at assemblies, there were other youths to meet and not feel so alone, there were others. Even, if they weren't so "theocractic" or "spiritual." At least we could work together in the cafeteria or refreshment stands and have some youthful socialization there. Now, they don't have such things for the kids to have some distraction. Then, they expect the kids not to have "social networks" among themselves via Facebook, etc. Kids were not meant to be social zombies, it's unhealthy.

I feel for the kids. The WTS expects the kids to skip their "youth"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit