Looking for a controversial book about Jesus? Try The Pagan Christ

by worldtraveller 14 Replies latest jw friends

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

Leolaia posted about this topic a while back, about the pagan similarities to the Jesus story, comparing it to Osiris and I think Mithras and a greek deity too. Dionysius?

All so called virgin births, life-death-life.

• Connaughty
    Connaughty

I read part of his book, when it was released. He has some interesting things to say about the early church. He has done some good research into the history of beliefs of Greek history. He makes a lot of comparaisons to Jesus and the pagon ideas. He claims that they are similar. He doesn't make mention of Flavius Josephus a 1st century historian who makes the claim that Jesus was not a fictional person.

The value I took from his book was more a insight to what the pagons beleived, and how they really live, and in some respects he humanized some of them.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

My problem has always been about "the virgin birth". It smells too much like a cover up. I wish there was absolute proof somewhere of the birth.

• Connaughty
    Connaughty

Hi World Traveller, I love BC.

To believe in the virgin birth, you need faith. The bible account tells us that only Joseph, and Mary had spoken to an Angel. If you think that you have difficulty in believing in the virgin birth, well , Mary's parents had a hard time swallowing it as well. Later on, when they saw Jesus do the things that he did they realized that Jesus was someone unusual. That's the only proof that you will have. It's interesting that the bible account is very specific about how close members felt about the possibility of this happening. But I believe that this account was mean't to be there for us to know that he could be God's son.

But of course Mary was no longer a virgin when she gave birth to sons and daughters through her husband, Joseph.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

I understand about the faith requirement, I try to keep the faith, although lately it has been compromised. I have had studies wih a Witness, and after doing my own study of the NWT, I am left wanting.

The kind of proof I need is not a book, but infact more like DNA. But where can you find dna samples from so long ago?

Imagine if dna had proven this beyond a shadow of a doubt. I can only hope.

As far as BC is concerned, the thing that bugs most folks living on the coast is the endless rain periods. May through September it is a great place to live. Right now we had our (hopefully) last snowfall and the temps are rising. Tomorrow I am out raking what's left of the falls leaves. Bill.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit