The D.O. gave some 'good' advice regarding the internet at the Assembly

by The Lone Ranger 19 Replies latest jw friends

• The Lone Ranger
    The Lone Ranger

The D.O. gave us some really good advice at this week’s circuit assembly, he was talking about the dangers of the Internet, he gave the usual warnings about teenagers meeting strangers or apostates, and dating websites.

But this time he also told the patents in the audience that there is software available which can monitor every website that is visited and everything that is typed on the computer, I was shocked, he was advising the parents to spy on their children, I suppose it might be OK if the child is 10yo but what if he or she is late teens, and they discover that their parents have spied on them, imagine how that will spilt the family, and for what? The cure is worst then the problem.

Its simple a case of the WTS being paranoid of the interent and they want no one on it.

• minimus
    minimus

Well, if the parents tell the kids ahead of time, they'll be no problem. The child will simply use his/her friends' computer.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes I must admit, I do not want to spy on my children.

• yknot
    yknot

Makes me wonder if the WTS will be introducing similar software to the GC, of course it would record and report directly to the Service Department.

• carla
    carla

My jw has already done the spying thing with one of our kids including reading emails from sibling to sibling, not strangers, or pedophiles or dates, siblings. Did that cause a problem in our house? oh yeah. That child who has not done anything to merit spying (as I am sitting next to child most of the time while they are on the internet) felt violated that they could not even talk to their sibling who is far away at the moment.

• RR
    RR

Hey, it's in the outline he was reading, don't blame him. :)

• minimus
    minimus

I must admit that I would check my younger kid's email or sites visited if I felt they were involved in something improper for their ages. I never did that but if I felt it would be prudent as a father, I would.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

It is important to monitor your childs searching patterns. It's real easy to do. I just want to make sure that he is safe. My daughter is 17-I have no interest in her searches. She makes adult choices.

When my 12 year old is 17 I will discontinue as well. It is our responsibility to keep them from harms way.

Just quietly peek at the history-if it's wiped out, look at your security program. It's sitting quietly there too. Just don't make a big deal in front of them, unless there is something troubling.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I hava have protection software on our 10-year-old daughter's computer as well. It is not spying but blocks all sites that are not explicitly allowed.

• free2beme
    free2beme

Best advice I could give a Witness about the Internet.

1. When researching your doubts, which we know you have, remember to delete your history, files and cookies. As other members of the congregation, with access to your computer, may want to use your more open questioning of the faith to promote their power and importance in the congregation by reporting you.

2. If you subscribe or search for adult material online, use names that do not sound like you are a Witness; Brothercurious, Sisterplayful, PoundingPO, and so on. These would be bad choices. Consider names that are in no way sounding like a Christian or Witnesses. So delete all things like 4get1914Iwant69.

3. Use online e-mail services for your contact with Apostate sites, adult sites or anything not associated with a "Witness approved: life style. Memorize these sign in names, passwords and so on. Above all things, do not make the mistake of leaving yourself logged in to these e-mail sites or programing your Windows explorer to remember your sign in and passwords. Again, delete your cookies, history and files on a regular bases.

Just some advice to the Witness breaking the shell of the egg around them and coming in to the real world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit