Thinking about going GFCF (gluten "wheat" free and casein "milk" free)

by mrsjones5 6 Replies latest social family

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

For the sake of my youngest son Joshua who has Autism Specturm Disorder. It would mean overhauling my family's diet but I think it would be worth it. I've found a few websites that look helpful like this one: http://www.gfcf-diet.talkaboutcuringautism.org/index.html and it seems encouraging and doable.

Is anyone dealing with this dietary issue?

Josie

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Modern wheat with gluten, and milk, have only become part of the human diet relatively recently. This means that the human body has not necessarily adapted fully to digesting them.

I know people who were sensitive to these items and their health improved dramatically after cutting them out.

I think anybody who has an unwell child would do anything possible to help. Good for you. I hope it does.

HB

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Thank you for your reply Hamster

Josie

• serendipity
    serendipity

My daughter had ear infections constantly when she was little. I removed dairy from her diet and the infections went down to 0 within 2 years.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

I was doing a gluten free diet for a while to see if that would help with skin problems. It didn't for me. But I did learn how dificult it is to try and eat healthy. I would recomend as varied a diet as possible so you don't get bored. When you read to educate yourself, keep a journal and list your sources, you may want to come back to them. If you find recipees also keep a journal of them, and when you try them make notes on whether your family liked it or what might make it better. Eventually your food prep will hopefully find its groove, but never stop learning or adapting new ideas. Are you consulting with a naturpath or dietician?

Good luck.

• NoLoveLost
    NoLoveLost

Hi - My son also has autism and has been GFCF for almost two years now. I have a ton of information about the diet if you want to PM me - I am always happy to help a fellow ASD mom!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Hey, I just looked back at my topic and I see I've gotten a few more replies. No I haven't consulted a dietician but it's a very good idea. Nolovelost you have a pm.

Josie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit