Sports.....

by KICKED OUT 3 Replies latest jw friends

• KICKED OUT
    KICKED OUT

Anyone know the current view on school sports...That was a big issue for me(it was a big no-no). I have lost touch over the last 9 yrs. It seemed they started going the use your concense route because some of my dub friends started to play.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I dont know what the current trend is. I would bet that sports are bad. The wactowers thinking was anything that distracts you from selling magazines or getting to magazine sales prepatory meetings is bad.

They dont want witnesses doing anything other than minimal employment, meetings and service.

If a witness has extra energy after that they should channel it into pioneering.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Today? Not sure...growing up: doctrinally, competition was cast as evil. Aggression more so. Some school sports were more acceptable than others, football was viewed as the worst since it seemed to be physically more aggressive than others (such as, say, basketball) with its sought-after physical contact.

I saw a great discrepancy in what was thought of as OK during short periods like during a recess or lunch, but wrong when done at a specific time as an event. It was the same activity; what would make it wrong when it there was time formally set aside for it?

But the official doctrines were widely ignored, and typical mental gymnastics were performed to make doctrine not applicable for those that played - especially if they played well. Kind of like, Rock songs are evil, m'kay, because of the bad lyrics, m'kay, but I don't listen to the words so it's alright, m'kay?

• worldtraveller

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit