let's talk about Holy Communion and the WTS "non-communion"

by potentialJWconvertswife 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• potentialJWconvertswife
    potentialJWconvertswife

Here's the question: why do the whole memorial thing if (I'm assuming) there will be few or (in most cases) NO ONE actually taking the sacrament? And what reason does the WTS give for saying only anointed can partake? Are there any examples of the disciples administering Holy Communion to any regular folks? If the practice wasn't passed down through the apostles, how did it come to be used in most modern day religions? Okay, I know this is more like a series of questions, but if you have insight or answers to any of these, please post.

• oompa
    oompa

I have voiced my same thoughts on this matter....to the point that my book study conductor called me last year and URGED me to come to the event because he felt like I was not going to............I went........but that will be the last time.........unless I feel like having some free wine and crackers...................................................................................................................................oompa

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I always wondered what was in the bowl Jesus and his apostles dipped their bread in to during the last supper. Was it herb and onion dip? Garlic dip? Salsa?

I'm getting hungry.

W

• lesterd
    lesterd

"Holy coommunion" can you show me that in the Bible? Or is it a all the lemings ran off the cliff so that makes it right?

I dissagree with the borgs motive for the memorial, there are those of us who are participants and its done behind closed doors, with two or more present in his name.

• Caljuher
    Caljuher

The Didache (or The Teaching of the Twelve Apostles) is one of the first writings that I remember hearing about to have any mention of communion. In one place it reads: “On the Lord’s own day gather together and break bread and give thanks, having first confessed your sins so that your sacrifice may be pure.”

The meetings or religious services or the first-century Christians are well documented, but the Watchtower never cites any of this information. Had I known now what I know then. For example, writing in the 150s, Justin Martyr wrote: “On the day called after the sun there takes place a meeting of all who live in the town or in the country. .. bread is brought, with wine mixed with water to the president [of the congregation].” Communion was then distributed to all.

Were there any people not allowed to partake of communion? Justin Martyr continued: “None is allowed to share unless he believes the things which we teach are true, and has been washed with the water that bring remission of sins and give a second birth, and lives as Christ order us so to live. For we do not receive them as ordinary bread and wine, but as Jesus Christ our Savior.”—The History of Christianity, pp. 40-41, DK Publishing.

Of course there is more in the Didache like this as well as the Apostolic Fathers, things we weren’t given access to when Witnesses, that show that the Witnesses have never followed the pattern of the first-century Christians in their Memorial celebrations. What they do has no historical basis in regards to the early church, but other religion services seem closer to the pattern.

I used to so proudly claim that I belonged to the religion most like the early Christians when I was a Witness, but the fact is I only learned (and repeated) the non-historical drip still offered by the Watchtower.

• lesterd
    lesterd

The must be a reason that the "holy fathers consider this a spurious.

The Didache (Koine Greek: ??da?? , Didache, meaning "Teaching" [1] ; IPA: /'d?d?ki?/ in English, IPA: [ðiða'xi] in Modern Greek) is the common name of a brief early Christiantreatise (dated by most scholars to the early second century), [2] containing instructions for Christian communities. The text, parts of which may have constituted the first written catechism, has three main sections dealing with Christian lessons, rituals such as baptism and eucharist, and Church organization. It was considered by some of the Church Fathers as part of the New Testament [3] but rejected as spurious or non-canonical by others, [4] eventually not accepted into the New Testament canon with the exception of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church "broader canon". The Roman Catholic Church has accepted it as part of the collection of Apostolic Fathers.

• Caljuher
    Caljuher

I didn't post information on the Didache to claim it as inspired of whatever. I am merely using it along with information from Justin Martyr to show that the Witnesses belief is wrong.

Also, the Didache isn't considered a false document by modern scholarship or the Apostolic Fathers as the source you are quoting from (Wikipedia) makes clear. It is a historical document, and just because it isn't canonized doesn't mean it is spurious (that is a Witness teaching by the way...not in the Bible, then it must be false).

Regardless, the main point is that the Witnesses have no link with historic worship as can be seen from many sources; the Didache is only one.

• potentialJWconvertswife
    potentialJWconvertswife

Oompa- what would happen if you did that? Would you be tackled by the brothers because you're too young to be of the 144,000 class?! ha ha ha...

Caljuher- Thanks for the info. I know in the Lutheran church you must be baptized and of a certain age to take sacrament, and it is the same in the Catholic, Episcopal and many other churches. All of those aforementioned religions believe that the wine and bread are Christ: "This is His body, take and eat. This is His blood, shed for you. Take and drink" are the words the Lutheran pastor says when giving Holy Communion to his congregation.

lesterd- What are you saying- you've never heard of the Last Supper???? Jesus said: "Do this in remembrance of Me." Are you in the WTS organization still? Just curious....

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

That ritual is very weird.

To be at such a ritual and not partake, and not realize how weird it is, one must exist in some kind of a bubble or pocket universe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit