martinwellborne

thx 4 that but that is the most godawful Read bettter reading a dictionary

• badboy
    badboy

BTTTT

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

From the Grauniad website:

Charles Darwin's On the Origin of Species changed the world. Here Richard Dawkins introduces a 34-page celebration of the book and its author, available FREE with tomorrow's edition of the Guardian

I think it's just the "34-page celebration" that's free, rather than the book itself. (Unless the author is also free of course!)

Still, Origin is out of copyright so you can pick it up cheap at any good bookstore or for free online. Try http://www.dailylit.com/ for bite-size chunks delivered direct to your inbox.

In any case, looks like an interesting supplement. Professor Dawkins's introduction is here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/feb/09/darwin.dawkins

Next Tuesday is Darwin Day, hence the hype.

• Gill
    Gill

Darwin plagurised the 'evolution' idea from the ancient egyptians and possibly other ancient mythological beliefs who believed that the human race had evolved from plants. But evolution is a fact, but one that is not always obvious because of the great and unimaginable lengths of time involved and the relatively short existence of each human being.

Infact, many ancient societies / religions believed that the human race evolved very slowly from trees and our lypmphatic drainage system, and fibrous texture of animal kinds muscle and pourous texture of bone can make you wonder whether they really did have a point.....in some bizarre fashion. The main difference between animal and plant cells is the cell wall and also plant cells are simpler in some respects but other than that, a cell is still a cell adapted for a different use.

Ancient, and I mean really, really ancient going back to distant mythologies that have become convoluted in the myths of time, though believing in a 'creator' of kinds to start the life force off still believed in evolution though not in the way that we understand it today......more of a plant - animal evolution.

It is believed / rumoured that in Egypt is an underground cavern that holds sculptures of all the Pharoahs that ever existed and the furthur and more distantly back in time these sculptures go the more 'fibrous' and 'bark or tree like' are the sculptures.

Even Britain has the ancient mythological stories of humans once being trees and the gradual evolution of the human race.

Darwin simply noticed that change did and continues to happen. He may not have stumbled upon the full and more complicated possibilities that ancient civilisations recorded in their myths.

One thing that cannot be argued is that we NEED the plants to survive and that says a lot in itself. But plants do NOT need us!

• ninja
    ninja

why dont they ever give the book its full title???? On The Origin of Species Means of Natural Selection, or The Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life hmmmm....favoured races....whatever could he have meant?

• badboy
    badboy

darwin's birThDay is on The 12th.

• badboy
    badboy

I GOT MY COPY OF THE GUARDIAN,EVENTUALLY FINDING MY COPY.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Happy Darwin Day! (Tuesday)

Kwin

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

Thanks badboy - just off out to get it. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit