OT question about dogs

by Irish Rose 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Irish Rose
    Irish Rose

My husband and I will be getting into our own home, before this year is over. We are both hoping sooner rather than later. With renting, owning a dog was very much out of the question. I have made the mistake in the past of getting a dog for a pet, only to find that due to different things, we were not "right" for each other. So this time around, I want to do a little research and find one that would fit our family. Yes, research is some thing that I have really gotten use to with learning about the watchtower.

Any ways, our family consist of 2 boys (10 and 12), my husband and myself. We also have two cats, and planning on getting at least one more once we move in. (I already know that certain dogs do not like cats.) We would like to get one, that the neighbors would not view as a threat. But will protect the family in the case of a break in. Any ideas?

• memphisbelle
    memphisbelle

I would suggest a golden retriever, we had one for 15 years and she was the BEST dog regarding temperment and health. But you have to check the person out who sells you the dog also !

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

In my experience, goldens and labs are great family dogs and tend more to be watchdogs than threatening guard dogs. They're also big enough to send thugs looking for easier pickings but still the right size for keeping your feet warm at night.

For older boys, especially, either breed has the activity level, intelligence and playfulness that would make them good companions for your sons.

HOWEVER, all that said, you'll want to make sure that you sign up for--and the whole family attends--a basic training class or an AKC good canine citizen class. Remember that almost any dog will do well if well-trained, and that it's important for the whole family to participate. If you go with a puppy, the puppy classes are very important to socialize your dog properly.

And some "mutts," easily and cheaply available at any shelter, are just as good as pets as any purebred dog. The best dog I ever had was a collie-golden retriever mix that I adopted from the local shelter. So if you're not big on looks, check the local shelter for a good retriever mix (there are usually a lot of them around a year old, because that's when most people get tired of dealing with a dog they haven't bothered to train).

I love dogs (cats, too!), but remember: they're almost as much work as kids. The good news? You only have to housebreak them once, and you don't have to teach them to drive or help pay for college.

Best,

Jankyn

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles

Seeing that you already have 2 cats, my advice would be to get a puppy instead of a full-grown dog. The puppy is more easily trained, and will get along better with your cats. That's of course dependant on the temperament of your cats.

• uninformed
    uninformed

Any ways, our family consist of 2 boys (10 and 12), my husband and myself. We also have two cats, and planning on getting at least one more once we move in. (I already know that certain dogs do not like cats.) We would like to get one, that the neighbors would not view as a threat. But will protect the family in the case of a break in. Any ideas?

Not likely.

The barking helps, so if you want to consider a small dog, I have a Jack Russell female that I will send you.

Most dogs do better at watchdogs if they are kept in a fence, or sadly, chained up.

Certain breeds are more protective than others.

If you don't want my Jack Russell, (and I wouldn't blame you), I recommend a lot of study on the matter before you get one.

Basically, dogs are shit factories. You pour in perfectly good food into one end and they make their deposits regularly and at the worst possible locations. When you get a dog, also get a gun. Know what I mean?

Brant

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

We have a black lab and a yellow lab, and a cat which they kiss. One is from the pound, another got dropped off in our driveway. The next animal I get, I will use this site:

http://petfinder.com/

momz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit