Col 2:16-19 in CO's talk

by lookingnow25 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• lookingnow25
    lookingnow25

It's time for my once every 3 years visit. Started out LookingNow22, then LookingNow25, now it could be LookingNow28. Still struggling in the org.

Given the recent power trip of the GB, particularly in the WT from this week talking about ready to obey every order, no matter how hard or unreasonable it may seem, this scripture popped out from the CO's talk (from the same day)at me. Quoted from NWT (sorry) :

16 Therefore let no man judge YOU in eating and drinking or in respect of a festival or of an observance of the new moon or of a sabbath; 17 for those things are a shadow of the things to come, but the reality belongs to the Christ. 18 Let no man deprive YOU of the prize who takes delight in a [mock] humility and a form of worship of the angels, “taking his stand on” the things he has seen, puffed up without proper cause by his fleshly frame of mind, 19 whereas he is not holding fast to the head, to the one from whom all the body, being supplied and harmoniously joined together by means of its joints and ligaments, goes on growing with the growth that God gives.

Could Col 2:16 be applied to holidays? It kind of sounds like it doesn't it? "let no man judge YOU...in respect of a festival". - Mock humility..puffed up without proper cause by his fleshly frame of mind.

lookingnow(28)

• Guest39
    Guest39

For what it's worth, the KJV equivalent of this verse has "...or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days"

• Tristram
    Tristram

Lookingnow... Just curious...what was your C.O.'s application of this scripture? T

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Here is some new light on that scripture, coming directly from an apostate that isn't even a true Bible scholar. This means that celebrating Christmas is a conscience matter, and that no one should judge anyone for doing so. No one should even hound one that has chosen to celebrate Christmas, Easter, or any of the other holidays.

For sure, taken with the first Christmas, it means it is totally scriptural to celebrate Christmas. Luke 2:10-14 describes perfect angels celebrating Christmas (not even demons), and there was no mention of any of them becoming demons following that incident.

Maybe people should start obeying that instead of the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger. This gives people the option (but not the obligation) of celebrating all the holidays, some of them, or none. I personally do Christmas, but I am not going to do the Crapmorial no matter what the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger says about it.

• lesterd
    lesterd

"not holing on to the head", very good, the sleep of the borg is beginning to clear from our eyes

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

Funny sounds like Paul was predicting the grand boasting sessions.

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

You're reading too much into the context. Here, let me clarify the text for you:

16 Therefore let no man judge YOU in eating and drinking or in respect of a festival or of an observance of the new moon or of a sabbath, except when you become one of Jehovah's Witnesses;

Just kidding! Seriously, though, it shouldn't matter what holiday you celebrate when and where. Some converted Christians (who were Jews) still celebrated Jewish holidays, even though they weren't Jewish anymore.

• Myst
    Myst

I like the way it's worded in the Message Bible...

Colossians 2:16-19 16-17 So don't put up with anyone pressuring you in details of diet, worship services, or holy days. All those things are mere shadows cast before what was to come; the substance is Christ.

18-19 Don't tolerate people who try to run your life, ordering you to bow and scrape, insisting that you join their obsession with angels and that you seek out visions. They're a lot of hot air, that's all they are. They're completely out of touch with the source of life, Christ, who puts us together in one piece, whose very breath and blood flow through us. He is the Head and we are the body. We can grow up healthy in God only as he nourishes us.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=COLOSSIANS%202:6-15,16-19;&version=65 ;

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

After tossing Colossians 2 around for a bit, you might want to flip over to Romans 14 for some clarification:

Rom 14:4 Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

Rom 14:5 One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.

Rom 14:6 He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God.

Rom 14:7 For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone.

Rom 14:8 If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.

After that, you might want to check out a blog I posted on myspace a while ago on JW's and Christmas, along with some back-and-forth in the comments with a JW who challenged me (sorry, don't know how to make the link clickable in Firefox):

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=32916022&blogID=185764874&Mytoken=FCD2FCD4-08D6-4D6A-BD1E3CC06E35C4B994965589

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

"who takes delight in a [mock] humility and a form of worship of the angels"

Now I wonder who teaches angel (Michael) worship. Hmmmmm....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit