So, I've been thinking . . .

by minu 9 Replies latest jw friends

• minu
    minu

Pretty new territory to me but I'm doing it anyway.

Since my exodus from a religion that can only be described as "all that is evil", I haven't been able to pray or determine whether or not there is actually a god. Here's a thought that I'm stuck on right now.

So, in the beginning, god creates heaven and earth and this and that. Then he gets tired or bored and rests. In his creating, did he put things in motion which makes evolution true? Which, I guess would mean that for quite a long time he's just sat there and watched things evolve?

What do you think?

• zeroday
    zeroday

NO

• lesterd
    lesterd

Depends on what your definition of evolution is. There is always change, everything is in a state of flux, evolution viewed as advancement of a species undoes its self, because life has de-volved, things left to their own development are becoming destructive. The mental development has lead to "cures" for disease, but not eradication of it the human element, which the idea of evolution, if truth, would. God exist as we see HIM, as individuals. That’s why there are so many faces of God, the problem is the disagreements of views, which do not allow us to she our God clearly enough to let everyone else alone.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>> So, in the beginning, god creates heaven and earth and this and that. Then he gets tired or bored and rests. In his creating, did he put things in motion which makes evolution true? Which, I guess would mean that for quite a long time he's just sat there and watched things evolve?

That's certainly possible. The number of "miracles" required to bring about life, the universe, and everything goes down year by year as we come to understand how powerful natural forces are at creating things. You can look at a crystal to see how incredibly beautiful and complex things can self-organize, and it's not hard to imagine it on a larger scale. Even before looking into the evidence that shows this is exactly what happened.

If there is a god that kicked it all off, it would certainly appear to me he's taken a hands-off approach to it since then. Of course, when you start an ant farm, you're not concerned about every little ant, your interest lies at a higher level. If you've started a whole freakin' universe, how concerned could you be with one little galaxy, let alone a single person on one of its billions of planets?

The god you've described -- while perhaps not as compelling as a Jesus or an Allah -- would be much easier to believe in, and would require less mental gymnastics.

In my opinion, of course.

Dave

• Gopher
    Gopher

Minu

I enjoyed that post. The wheels are really turning. Deists believe God set things in motion and has not been involved in the affairs of mankind ever since.

There's still no conclusive proof for a God, it's a belief. I don't condemn the belief (in and of itself). I just don't share it, but would be willing to adjust my view if overwhelming concrete proof emerged -- at which point it wouldn't be a "belief" but a fact.

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

A CREATOR, yes. However at this point in my journey AWAY from the wts, a god is no longer a part of my luggage.

NMG

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Hello Minu. I have been out of the tower since 83 and I havent been able to figure out the answers to your questions and I have spent considerable time trying. These questions you ask are the great mysteries confronting man and civiliazation since the begining or history.

You can find folks who have the answers google evolution, or creation.

But having answers to the questions you ask reminds me very much of what I escaped the Wac Tower.

• dawg
    dawg

No one can possibly know the answer to this question... look at that picture of Gopher and tell me you don't believe in evolution, then look at my photo for conclusive proof....LOL....

Is there a God? No one knows... I'm a diest for a reason, Science hasn't been able to produce life yet so there's no empirical evidence that it evolved-from molecules we know of...sad thing is, there's no evidcence for God either... when one of these two things rears their ugly heads (either the evolution of life in a test tube, or God coming down and taking a huge dump opn all of us) I have no real reason to believe either.

• Dogaradodya
    Dogaradodya
    So, in the beginning, god creates heaven and earth and this and that. Then he gets tired or bored and rests. In his creating, did he put things in motion which makes evolution true? Which, I guess would mean that for quite a long time he's just sat there and watched things evolve?

God is in metamorphosis. Guess who? "The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool." Isaiah 66:1 (King James Version) The heaven is the head of man who is standing on what else but earth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8eigkwmMEo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGj2HILrOac

• proplog2
    proplog2

I am certain that there is no God as described by Christians, Moslems and Jews.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit