PRAYERS that you have endured.....

by nomoreguilt 10 Replies latest jw friends

• ramtrucker
    ramtrucker

This is kind of a thread drift, but is still about how an audience becomes prisoners so to speak when a prayer is being offered up.

My wife lived in Glens Ferry, Idaho for several years. Glens Ferry has established a tradition of recreating the pioneers of the 1800s crossing of the Snake River near there.

So three years ago, we made plans to be at that event.

It was a sweltering hot day, dust flying, insects everywhere, just plain miserable for a lot of the people that had come to watch the show that day.

A minister, decked out in the same fashion a preacher might have been dressed 150 years ago, gave a benediction before the "pioneers" started across the river.

Then he introduced an indian, of the Cayouse tribe I believe, and invited him to pray before the crossing.

This fellow went on and on. He prayed to whatever God he felt must have been listening.

He not only prayed for the safe delivery of the pioneers on the river bank near us, he started in talking about how white settlers/pioneers had taken away the Indians heritage, etc. etc.I pretty near went to sleep of bordom before he finally lowered his arms and the party proceeded across the river.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit