About that April 2008 Kool-Aid

by WTWizard 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I read the Kool-Aid scan of April 2008, and sure enough the first article is about "valueless things". I thought they were going to all but ban entertainment. What they did do was tell people that relaxation and fun have their place, but compared it to dessert. They were encouraging people to severely limit those things. They did, however, have a full ban on college as a "valueless thing", and they called the independent sources for Bible research more dangerous than relaxation.

However, that does not mean they are out of the woods. What often happens, and I think will in this case, is that the rag will put a viewpoint out that is not yet 100% against something. It might suggest that people severely limit something like money or entertainment. Then, they have a Grand Boasting Session (or the hounder-hounder shows up). At that point, they verbally say that all entertainment, fun in excess of what's inherent in field circus, and relaxation except the sleep you absolutely need are bad. Anyone that does these things is asked if they can eliminate them to fully work on field circus. I am looking for such development of talks this coming Grand Boasting Session to include one or more talks on that subject.

A later study article in the same Kool-Aid outright tells people to stay single while young. They are urged to pioneer, go to Beth Hell (yes, they are still seeking people that are willing to waste their youth on something stupid like that), or the Grand Prize: The Value Destroyer Training School. Married couples are being asked to forgo having children again (sounds like 1969). To me, that was the one that I would definitely warn about getting the puke bucket ready before it comes up on your computer, unless your keyboard is puke proof.

Yes, my prediction that they are going to attempt a ban on entertainment and fun stands. However, they are likely to take the indirect route on this. That way, should something come up in court, they will have no proof of anything of the sort (such as in child custody cases). I now think the magazine set up the stage by limiting entertainment to insignificant amounts, and the Grand Boasting Sessions and/or hounder-hounder visits are going to put the capstone on that ban. Yes, it is totally ridiculous for them to attempt, or even seriously think of, enacting such a ban.

However, I am not surprised. This has been the trend since as long as I have been in. Even then, they were focusing more on getting me to give up hobbies and fun to make room for field circus, and I could tell it was coming. They took another 20 years, gradually clamping down on fun things. Eventually, I saw this coming to this. Whether it happens at the Grand Boasting Session or it is through the hounder-hounders, I hope that enough parents see what's going on and get their children out of the religion. And I hope many more teens and 20- and 30-somethings leave on that grounds. And, even if they were to wuss out and not follow up with a blanket ban on entertainment (the way they banned college), it is still not a good organization to be in.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

When I was at Bethel there was this older fella who had been there thirty years - since he was 19 himself. He used to go on and on about kids playing video games, going out on the town, watching movies, all those fun things, and then he'd say "a brotha doesn't need all that - jis work good and hard, eat dinna, take youself to yo room, wash up, read you Bible, and go to bed. That's all you need."

And he was dead serious. We would all laugh at him, but man, that guy was completely serious. His idea of it was like he was in a monestary.

But yeah, this latest WT edition is full of Koolaid advice. Basically shun anything that reminds you you're a human like everyone else.

• Bourne
    Bourne

Ummmm......has anyone posted this yet?.....The mag scans, that is? If so, seems I missed it. Bourne

• WTWizard
    WTWizard
    Ummmm......has anyone posted this yet?.....

Go back to page 375 on this subforum and the third from the bottom post will be the April 2008 Kool-Aid. It will have the light bulb icon. Warning--the quality is rather variable, with portions not clear and a few parts toward the end being illegible. However, you should be able to read these articles in their entirity.

• kwr
  • momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

It was just another example of why I left. i would say that soon they'll be telling them how to wash themselves and clean their houses, how much toothpaste and soap to use. Oh wait they already do. I cannot express in words the feeling of being free from the heavy yolk they put on you.

momz

• Bourne
    Bourne

Thanx for the heads-up, WTWizard. You're a life-saver. Bourne

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I'm bummed out by the last article "Isolated But Not Forgotten."

"When elderly Christians move into a nursing home, they may find themselves in the territory of a congregation with which they are not familiar. As a result, the local Witnesses may not think about visiting them frequently." I have news for them--they rarely visit even if they are in their own territory and even if they are close to the KH.

"Moreover, in the nursing home, they will likely be surrounded by people who have different beliefs. That may leave our elderly fellow Witnesses in a difficult situation. For instance, in some areas, nursing homes arrange for religious services to be held in the facility." Heaven forbid! Even after my father gave all his property to my daughter, I was expected to pick him up from the nursing home, get him into my vehicle (which was extremely difficult and I was worried that if he fell I would likely be sued by my relatives) and take him to the KH to sit through two hours of drivel. As I wheeled him down the hallway, I would pass the chapel and wished that he could just attend their services. It would have been more upbuilding.

"Further, the staff of nursing homes often use birthdays, Christmas, or Easter to vary the routine of the residents. Some Witnesses in nursing homes have also been offered food that their conscience would not allow them to eat." (Acts 15:29). Really? Are they talking about blood sausage? Maybe it would be OK if it was prepared with blood fractions. I don't remember this ever being a problem in our area.

"If we visit our elderly brothers and sisters regularly, we will be able to help them deal with such challenges." Keep them in line....also better not let them take a bite of a birthday cake.

"It would be good if Christian overseers personally visited the elderly to see their living conditions and to pray with them. The congregation can do much to care for their needs." Gosh--if I had more time...their needs consist of rides to meetings, or listening by telephone or tape recorder. They do mention how important it is to just be there. I agree with that, but how about a game of checkers or go for a walk (or push their wheelchair outside, weather permitting)? Why does it always have to be related to the organization?

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Hey! I know the ones on page 24!

• notyetx
    notyetx

Just read paragraghs 9 and 10 of the scan about college. Not a total ban but a strongly worded discouragement. They actually say that college can induce young people with "harmful propaganda." Too funny!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit