Convention time!

by jacethespace 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jacethespace
    jacethespace

How many of you attended a convention at a stadium and at the end of the loooonng weekend had to endure the boasting session? " the mayor of the city visited us this weekend and said how peacefull it was.No litter scattered everywhere and no one pushing and shoving and...... ..... 16:00 ..... 1700...... and everyone loves us...... 17:30....... ive never known such happy [ oh please] and pleasant people.And on and on...

Wheres that scripture which says "let another person praise you and not your own mouth" somewhere in proverbs,I guess though it doesnt apply to the governing body as per usual.

I was always suspicious of these boasting sessions at conventions and thought it was nothing but hyped up advertising for the tower.I was also suspicious of all those donation boxes all around the stadium at conventions.A christndom church has one box at the back of the hall as well as plate passing the tower has a box at the hall and hudreds scattered everywhere at a convention/assembly.Not much diffrence to me.

It was funny how there was a lot of difficulty to leave the car parks at the end of the day with some cursing others for being in the way and having to que up.Then we would leave and remark on being back "in the world".OH no all those mad drivers everywhere now we are out of " paradise" dashing about.

• potentialJWconvertswife
    potentialJWconvertswife

Being an outsider I don't know a thing about the conventions- is this the annual "communion" at which the great crowd refuses the cup and the bread?? And boasting sessions- what's it all about? Are JW's required to attend or only encouraged? Where does it happen? Same place every year?

• Gopher
    Gopher
    the conventions- is this the annual "communion" at which the great crowd refuses the cup and the bread?? And boasting sessions- what's it all about? Are JW's required to attend or only encouraged? Where does it happen? Same place every year?

The "communion" is called "The Memorial" by JW's, and occurs early every spring. This is the pass-the-bread and sniff-the-wine meeting. It draws the highest attendance every year, because every Bible Student and many inactive JW's feel the need to go.

There is 1 large convention in the summer time, and 2 smaller assemblies. The large convention lasts 3 days, and at the end they have what we might call a "boasting session" where experiences are read (some real, some faked) about how well the convention went, and what a good impression was made in the arena and in the city.

JW's are expected to attend all conventions and assemblies. The conventions can vary in location, depending on which facility's management the WTS can most easily screw over. But usually they are held in the same location that can hold thousands of folks.

• Gopher
    Gopher
    I was always suspicious of these boasting sessions at conventions and thought it was nothing but hyped up advertising for the tower.

They read experiences which made it sound like everything was wonderful and everybody in the city was SO IMPRESSED by the delegates. I'm quite sure a lot of those experiences were sent in from headquarters to be read in case nothing good was reported in the convention city.

I was also suspicious of all those donation boxes all around the stadium at conventions.A christndom church has one box at the back of the hall as well as plate passing the tower has a box at the hall and hudreds scattered everywhere at a convention/assembly.Not much diffrence to me.

Actually I think this worked well. It's better to have the donation boxes scattered then have just one in the whole big arena. Sometimes the best looking sisters were guarding these boxes! (Maybe they picked them to attract more donations?)

It was funny how there was a lot of difficulty to leave the car parks at the end of the day with some cursing others for being in the way and having to que up

Leave your Christian unity in the arena. It's everyone for themself once you're behind the wheel.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Wheres that scripture which says "let another person praise you and not your own mouth" somewhere in proverbs,I guess though it doesnt apply to the governing body as per usual.

Here it is: The Message Bible -

Proverbs 27:2 Don't call attention to yourself;
    let others do that for you.

Of course, everyone knows that doesn't apply to the GB.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit