Egoism - An Essay by John Robinson

by eclipse 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

BTS

You aren't taking the essay in context therefore I cannot argue with you. It seems to me that the article is describing a man who has no illusions about himself. Read it again and see what you come up with.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

I think thes next few pages might help the discussion along. I firmly believe that a lot of people never reach the 7-10 level of maturity in regards ego.

Maybe this link will work better...

http://books.google.com/books?id=JxqWClhq9zsC&pg=RA1-PA7&lpg=RA1-PA7&dq=moral+guide+for+modern+living+belinda&source=web&ots=lkV1UEMvrw&sig=ow6c1fiflpMmv7l1KFAc0l97bUA

If you scroll down after clicking the table of contents there is a lot of great information regarding ego.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

hey sparky

I'd really like to read the rest of the article but couldn't find it - could you help me out pls

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

gotcha thanks

• eclipse
    eclipse
    Eclipse, are you trying to say that you are narcissistic? Or was this post intended for someone unnamed?

No, I am not narcissistic and imho, people who are narcissistic, are to be avoided and ignored.

The essay was simply posted and remarked as being eye-opening.

I was not making any statement about myself and certainly about no one else.

From that essay, I came to the following conclusions, and these are only my opinion:

Egoism is the opposite of narcissism. For Egoists have no delusions of grandeur or power.

Egoists are content within themselves, have no need to run anyone's life.

Egoism is simply about being in control of one self and being fully responsible for one's own's actions.

Egoism is about being an individual, their behaviors and actions are all conscious decisions.,

not based on idealism or religious fevor or fanatical whim., unlike the narcissistic power-hungry personality type.

Narcissism is destructive to those around them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder#Narcissistic_personality_disorder_and_shame

Diagnostic criteria

At least five of the following are necessary for a diagnosis (as with many DSM diagnoses, they must form a pervasive pattern; for example, a person who shows these criteria only in one or two relationships or situations would not properly be diagnosed with NPD):

1. has a grandiose sense of self-importance
    2. is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
    3. believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by other special people
    4. requires excessive admiration
    5. strong sense of entitlement
    6. takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
    7. lacks empathy
    8. is often envious or believes others are envious of him or her
    9. arrogant behavior

But I digress, This thread was only to share the article that Johnson wrote,

This thread is certainly not about anyone in particluar.

It just shows that a term with a 'negative' connotation can have an entirely opposite meaning.

Edited for nvr.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

did anyone get to page 110 off of my link? That is where the good stuff really starts. (I did like the whole article tho)

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Interesting thoughts about the essay you posted, eclipse.

One statement in particular stands out as questionable..." Egoism does not affect anyone. "

Don't all actions or even inaction affect those immediately surrounding us?

As the egoist makes his/her decisions, he/she is keenly aware that they have consequences.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned
    The egoist is fooled by no ideals: he discards them or uses them, as may suit his own interest. If he likes to be altruistic, he will sacrifice himself for others; but only because he likes to do so; he demands no gratitude nor glory in return.

Interesting article. I whole-heartedly agree with the summation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit