Do they still do the Friday Night Pre-WT Study???

by Confucious 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• Confucious
    Confucious

In the early 90's, all the rage was the Pre WT Study.

Basically, the young Witnesses would get together on Friday nights to underline their Watchtower together.

Then afterwards we'd hangout or whatever.

It used to drive me crazy because if you wanted to hang out, basically you would have to sit through another meeting.

Granted it was informal, but it was the same dang thing you were going to do again on Sunday.

The young ones still doing this today?

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I thought this all stopped in the early or middle 80's. My kids always went to the Friday night studies. I think they stopped it because they were afraid they might ask questions that would never be asked on Sunday. I'm sure the incident at Bethel about 1980's had a lot to do with it. Can't have those witlesses together except under controlled conditions.

• Cc81
    Cc81

yeah.. that was something that was really big in the early 90's when i was a kid.. I think that has tapered off over the years. I know as of 8 years ago when i was still going nobody was doing that.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I have never seen it in my former congregation. What I have seen is the trend to sequester the young people from each other since about 1990. In the early 1990s, young ones would be able to have some fun together. Then the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger put a stop to it, since they were having too much fun instead of going out in field circus. This happened gradually through a series of articles and letters read to the congregations.

These days, people in the organization that are following the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger lead semi-solitary lives. They do meet together and give canned comments. They do work together in field circus, giving canned presentations (that hopefully result in a door slammed in the faces). But, they have no meaningful association with each other, and none with the world.

• Confucious
    Confucious

Wiz...

Going along with your thought.

By the time I left, the WT, the Internet was just getting here.

And there was a JW Dating Site.

And the head elder was critical of it. And I'm sure the Borg too.

And then there were "JW Roller Rink Nights."

They too was critical of that.

But deep inside I was like...

Ok... so we can't date worldly people.

We can't search on the Internet for single JW's.

So what then? We're resorting to trolling the hallways during lunch time at assemblies?

• blondie
    blondie

We were told we couldn't do it any more because of the danger of apostasy or following after someone with strong personal ideas. Only 2 families or 2 individuals could get together and study.

• sir82
    sir82

There was a bunch of us who did it on Wednesday nights in the mid-80's. I always looked at it as a one-hour penance in order to get to the fun stuff, pizza, beer, playing pool in the basement, watching "Dynasty" and "The Equalizer" and stuff like that. Attendance varied from 4 or 5 to sometimes a dozen or more over the years. Eventually everybody got married and it kind of fizzled out.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

I only went to a few. We were so freakin holy. Not like kids these days.

Actually - it was fun because it was so informal you could make smart-ass answers and get a laugh wihtout too much hassle.

• freydi
    freydi

I did it in the mid '90's with old folks, followed by a card game that got pretty intense at times.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I wasn't one of the "young ones", but I had a few room-mates and a bunch of us would get together. It was half serious at best. It burned out rather quickly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit